Shaie Zindel
Shaie Zindel, Attorney
Experience:  All areas of commercial and contract Law - specialist in property advice.
67955801

I have traced a sewage leak in my property to a sewage line

I have traced a sewage leak in my property to a sewage line coming from the neighbour's property. My property sewage is not on that line.
Is the municipality or the neighbour responsible for sorting the problem?
Hi There and thank you for this question. The question can only be answered by determining who owns the pipe in question. Under normal circumstances the pipe as it connects to the installation and whilst traversing the property of the neighbour is the responsibility of the neighbour. Once the pipe leaves that property and joins the main sewerage line outside the property it then belongs to the local authority in the circumstances and based on the information you have provided the neighbour is liable. I hope this answers your question. Feel free to let me know if I can assist further and please remember to rate my service so far. Regards