Barend B.
Barend B., Legal Consultant
Experience:  BLC LLB (Pret) LLM (Augsburg)

SA Law/Accounting question

I share ownership of some rental properties together with my 2 siblings - a sister & a brother.

Recently, our accountant has provided me with Financial Sheets reflecting only mine & my sister's financials on these rental properties and not my brother's.

For the past 35 years I have been receiving F/S of our shared rental properties reflecting all 3 - mine, sister & brother.

I have told the accountant I have received partial F/S & require full financial disclosure of me & my siblings shared ownership rental properties. I have yet to receive the full Financials or a reply from the accountant.

What are my options?

Good morning,

I suggest that you put pressure on the account to furnish you with a reply. Give him a deadline. And if he still doesn't respond, make a request in terms of the Promotion of Access to Information Act. He has to respond within 30 days of such a request and if he still refuse to supply full disclosure, you can apply to court to compel him to disclose all the financials.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I prefer not to go the court route. What more options do I have?

You can follow the route as suggested, but just then don't go to court. Your other option is to refer the dispute to binding arbitration. The chances are, however, that he will supply the information when you send him the request as mentioned earlier.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Given that the accountant has 30 days to respond:

I am reserving my rating on this, pending the outcome of the information you have given me.

I understand the Government Departments will be closing for the December holidays. I don't know how that would affect my outcomes on this.

I will contact you as soon as the issue is resolved.