JJ
JJ, Attorney
Experience:  Admitted Attorney 17 years experience
18691375

I have a debt collector calling to claim a debt that does not

I have a debt collector calling to claim a debt that does not exist. During the year I enquired what the cost of a public speaking course would be. I requested that they send me a written quote so that it could be discussed with my partner in the business. They subsequently sent an invoice for the course despite the fact that I signed no agreement with them and neither did I attend the course. We had in fact never even discussed the available dates that the course was offered. They now continue to call me and threaten listing my firm on the credit burea this despite never entering into an agreement or taking the course. What can I do?
Hi and welcome!

My name isXXXXX you for giving me the opportunity to assist you.

This is ridiculous. You are off course entitled to reject any claim made in this regard and you should in fact advise them that up you will be taking action against them if they continue with this harassment. You can also advise that they should issue a summons and that you will obviously defend it if a summons is issued. You will also have to advise them that yo will be lodging a complaint with the debt collectors council on www.debt-council.co.za.

They are also not entitled to merely list you on ITC without a judgement. This will also be taken further and you can sue for damages in this regard.

Please ask more if not clear.