JJ, Attorney
Experience:  Admitted Attorney 17 years experience

My daughter is being dismissed by her employer (one month notice)

My daughter is being dismissed by her employer (one month notice) due to poor workmanship and neglect for which she was verbally reprimanded a number of times. None of the reprimanding was in writing, nor was there any formal disciplinary hearing of which there is any proof of. Furthermore, she was given the letter of service termination and told to sign it, which she did in fear, after she has offered her letter of resignation which was refused by the employer. The service termination letter from the employer states that the employer has no further financial obligation towards the employee, as I understand for the month of notice, therefore no pay. What should she do?

Hi and welcome!

My name isXXXXX you for giving me the opportunity to assist you.

Does she want to leave this company, or would she like to stay on? How long was she employed there for?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

She has been employed for 6 months and wants to leave the company as the work is not what she wanted to do, (Fashion industry)

Hi Chris

She can actually give two weeks notice and leave. She has to be paid for those two weeks and they need to make the payment accordingly.

If they do not pay her then she can lodge a complaint with the department of labour and they will investigate it. This is regardless to what she has signed.

Please ask more if not clear?