JJ
JJ, Attorney
Experience:  Admitted Attorney 17 years experience
18691375

Good day, I would like to know the process involved in adjusting

Good day, I would like to know the process involved in adjusting a divorce settlement contract. My settlement with my ex spouse was based on my relative market value, which has changed and I am earning significantly less than what I was during our divorce process and I would like to know the likelihood of success if entering into a legal negotiation.

regards

Hi and welcome!

My name isXXXXX you for giving me the opportunity to assist you.

I have to assume that no divorce order has been granted yet? If not, is the matter enrolled for trial yet?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The divorce order was granted June 2010, and has had 2 anniversaries. The settlement stated an annual CPI related increase which has been honored. Now my work situation has changed and I may not be able to meet all the stipulations from the initial agreed upon order.

The settlement makes provision only for my ex wife as there is no longer dependents relevant to this financial support. (We were divorced after 26 years marriage and the children are self sufficient).

Hi Johannes

You can approach the maintenance court for an order to get the maintenance reduced. The court will ask again for all the proof in this regard and you will have to show that you can no longer afford the amount granted by the court orderr and that it should be reduced.

This can be done at any maintenance court to be found in the magistrates court and just ask for the general office. This is free of charge and you do not need a lawyer for this process.

Pleasde ask more if not clear.