How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask WCLawyer Your Own Question
WCLawyer , Attorney
Category: South Africa Law
Satisfied Customers: 15593
Experience:  L.LB (UOVS)
Type Your South Africa Law Question Here...
WCLawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

What can I do if the landlord has not paid the electricity

Resolved Question:

What can I do if the landlord has not paid the electricity bill and the power to the house has been cut (we received a notice in the post to this effect), leaving my family to have to stay elsewhere and move all foods to prevent damage. (I have paid the bill to the landlord in full).

I have been renting for two months, and the outstanding amount due seems to be from before I moved into the premises. When speaking to the state agent about the electricity being cut, the response was "we were worried this may happen"
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: South Africa Law
Expert:  WCLawyer replied 2 years ago.
Good day and thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try and assist you today.

In order to provide you with the most accurate answer, I may have to ask you a lot of questions. This may seem tedious and irrelevant, but trust me, there is a reason for every question. So please be patient throughout the process and if it takes a little long for me to come back to you, it is probably because I am researching your answer. I hope that is okay.

What is the amount that is owed by the landlord?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Amount owed: R2000.00

Expert:  WCLawyer replied 2 years ago.
What would you like to do: Cancel the agreement, or pay the account and take it off your rent payment?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Pay the account and take it off the rent payment will be the best option for me. Do I need to engage with the landlord before I do this or can I go ahead. Can I deduct the equivalent of the days that I cannot stay in the house from the rent as well?

Expert:  WCLawyer replied 2 years ago.
Is there anything in your lease agreement that says that you cannot set off any amount from your rent for whatever reason?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Not as far as I know (assuming I interpret the contract correctly).

Expert:  WCLawyer replied 2 years ago.
It is not expressly stated anywhere in the contract? Normally those types of clauses leave no doubt as to how it is supposed to be applied.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Just checked. Nothing stated in the contract to this effect.

Expert:  WCLawyer replied 2 years ago.
Then you are golden.

Write a letter to the landlord or the agent. Inform them that you will give them 24 hours to pay the arrear account and have the electricity up and running again, otherwise you are going to pay it and withhold it from the rent.

If they do not comply, then pay it and deduct it from next month's rent.

With regards XXXXX XXXXX further deduction due to the fact that you could not live there for an extended period of time, it is a little bit more murky and I suggest that, although you can claim for that, since it is a damages claim, you do not deduct that from the rent. I do suggest that you rather approach the Rental Tribunal, or the Small Claims Court and request for a reduction from there.

I hope I have answered all of your questions and addressed all your concerns, but if you have follow up questions before you rate, feel free to ask them at no extra cost. If you are satisfied with the service, kindly rate it positively.
WCLawyer, Attorney
Category: South Africa Law
Satisfied Customers: 15593
Experience: L.LB (UOVS)
WCLawyer and other South Africa Law Specialists are ready to help you

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
< Previous | Next >
  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
  • My Expert was fast and seemed to have the answer to my taser question at the tips of her fingers. Communication was excellent. I left feeling confident in her answer. Eric Redwood City, CA
  • I am very pleased with JustAnswer as a place to go for divorce or criminal law knowledge and insight. Michael Wichita, KS
  • PaulMJD helped me with questions I had regarding an urgent legal matter. His answers were excellent. Three H. Houston, TX
  • Anne was extremely helpful. Her information put me in the right direction for action that kept me legal, possible saving me a ton of money in the future. Thank you again, Anne!! Elaine Atlanta, GA
  • It worked great. I had the facts and I presented them to my ex-landlord and she folded and returned my deposit. The 50 bucks I spent with you solved my problem. Tony Apopka, FL
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK

Meet The Experts:




    Satisfied Customers:

< Last | Next >



    Satisfied Customers:

  • Emil's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    BCom Law LLB, 3 years post article experience as attorney
  • LCP's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    BCom (Stell) LLB LLM
  • Freddie Lombard's Avatar

    Freddie Lombard


    Satisfied Customers:

    Practicing attorney and conveyancer with 14 years post article experience.
  • Shaie Zindel's Avatar

    Shaie Zindel


    Satisfied Customers:

    All areas of commercial and contract Law - specialist in property advice.
  • inciteadvisor's Avatar


    Commercial Lawyer

    Satisfied Customers:

    B.Com LLB Registered Corporate lawywer
  • AntonSmith13's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LLB, LLM, Cert. International Law Attorney with 12 years experience

Related South Africa Law Questions