How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Shaie Zindel Your Own Question
Shaie Zindel
Shaie Zindel, Attorney
Category: South Africa Law
Satisfied Customers: 1247
Experience:  All areas of commercial and contract Law - specialist in property advice.
Type Your South Africa Law Question Here...
Shaie Zindel is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hi there, I hope you can help me; I know of an abandoned farm

This answer was rated:

Hi there,
I hope you can help me; I know of an abandoned farm that's been empty for many years and all the buildings were vandalised and just damaged due to no attention and repairs; can I put a claim on the property?

Hi Warren - Thanks for your question. If a property has been abandoned then it is what is known as a Res Nullius - in such an instance, ownership would typically revert to the State. I would suggest that you make some enquiries to try and get some background - first get a deeds search done and see who the last registered owner is then get hold of the local authority and determine what the arrear rates and taxes are. Let me now if this assists you in the meantime. Regards Shaie
Shaie Zindel and other South Africa Law Specialists are ready to help you