Shaie Zindel
Shaie Zindel, Attorney
Experience:  All areas of commercial and contract Law - specialist in property advice.

Hi there, I hope you can help me; I know of an abandoned farm

Hi there,
I hope you can help me; I know of an abandoned farm that's been empty for many years and all the buildings were vandalised and just damaged due to no attention and repairs; can I put a claim on the property?

Hi Warren - Thanks for your question. If a property has been abandoned then it is what is known as a Res Nullius - in such an instance, ownership would typically revert to the State. I would suggest that you make some enquiries to try and get some background - first get a deeds search done and see who the last registered owner is then get hold of the local authority and determine what the arrear rates and taxes are. Let me now if this assists you in the meantime. Regards Shaie