WCLawyer
WCLawyer, Attorney
Experience:  L.LB (UOVS)
32244620

our company is going onto a time and expenses electronic system

our company is going onto a time and expenses electronic system for employees where expenses will be scanned in and kept on file. are we still required to keep the original documents.
Good day and thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try and assist you today.

In order to provide you with the most accurate answer, I may have to ask you a lot of questions. This may seem tedious and irrelevant, but trust me, there is a reason for every question. So please be patient throughout the process and if it takes a little long for me to come back to you, it is probably because I am researching your answer. I hope that is okay.

Would this be for tax purposes?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes this would be for tax purposes for PAYE charged on business mileage on private vehicle that is reimbursed.

Would this also be an audit requirement

Many thanks.

Audit requirement in terms of the Companies Act?

Is the electronic record the only record of the mileage? Is this, for instance, through a tracking company or something to that effect?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes the mileage is an electronic record. mileage is recorded by the individual.

Other expenses are usually meals, telephone and other sundry expenses.

Mileage is recorded by the individual through an electronic device?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No mileage is recorded through their own log books and manually entered into the voucher reimbursement system

Okay, so you want to know whether you have to retain the logbooks as well?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No the individuals would keep their own log books for their personal tax returns.

Okay, I am going to paste section 30 of the Tax Administration Act for you here, which I think will address your query.

30. Form of records kept or retained.—(1) The records, books of account, and documents referred to in section 29, must be kept or retained—
(a)in their original form in an orderly fashion and in a safe place;
(b)in the form, including electronic form, as may be prescribed by the Commissioner in a public notice; or
(c)in a form specifically authorized by a senior SARS official in terms of subsection (2).
(2) A senior SARS official may, subject to the conditions as the official may determine, authorize the retention of information contained in records, books of account or documents referred to in section 29 in a form acceptable to the official.

The notice that has been issued under this section can be found here.

I cannot find any list of software packages that is SARS approved, unfortunately, however, I would imagine that the software package itself will say whether it is SARS approved or not. It might be prudent to just check with SARS whether that is the case.

I am not sure what else I can advise you on, but if you have follow up questions before you rate, feel free to ask them at no extra cost. If you are satisfied with the service, kindly rate it positively. I do not get anything unless you rate the service.