Barend B.
Barend B., Legal Consultant
Experience:  BLC LLB (Pret) LLM (Augsburg)

Hi I recently bought a 2012 demo vehicle(6000kms) from a

I recently bought a 2012 demo vehicle(6000kms) from a reputable dealer. Part of the reason for me buying this car was the fuel consumption that one can get. (ie. 6.1L/100km on the extra urban roads and 7.2L on combined roads. The consumption I am achieving is approx 9.5L/100km on extra urban or combined. I have sent the vehicle on numerous times to the dealer to rectify the problem. with no avail. They tested the vehicle and say there is nothing wrong with the car and can do nothing to help. Please can you advise.
Good afternoon,

Did this dealer represent to you that this demo vehicle will get the consumption you wanted, or where did you learn about the consumption of this vehicle?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

This info was shown to me from the specific motor car brochure

By this dealer?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Good morning,

Then I suggest you lay a claim with the National Consumer Commission. Making representations that are misleading is a contravention of the Consumer Protection Act. Furthermore, if you receive a product that is defective, you can either demand a full refund or that it be repaired. If the dealer says it is not defective, they have misrepresented the features of the car and you can either claim a reduction in the purchase price or return the vehicle and demand a refund.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you. I am very happy with your answer. I have since asked the dealer to provide me with an identical vehicle for me to drive and compare consumption figures. I am hoping to get this vehicle very soon. I will let you know the results if thats OK.

That is perfectly fine. I hope it works out.