WCLawyer, Attorney
Experience:  L.LB (UOVS)

I need to employ 30 piece workers for one week folding booklets.

I need to employ 30 piece workers for one week folding booklets. Do these casual workers need a contract. They will be paid at the end of each day. Thank you Sonja
Good day.

The Basic Conditions of Employment does not require a contract to be in writing. A verbal agreement is good enough, but I do suggest that you enter into a written agreement with them in which you clearly state that they are employed for one week only. This is to prevent them from going to the CCMA at the end of the contract, citing unfair dismissal, saying that you never told them that the contract would be for one week only.

Remember that you are also to pay UIF for them as well as PAYE if they qualify.

I hope this answers your question, but if you have follow up questions before you rate, feel free to ask them at no extra cost. If you are satisfied with the service, kindly rate it positively. I do not get anything unless you rate the service