Barend B.
Barend B., Legal Consultant
Experience:  BLC LLB (Pret) LLM (Augsburg)
20266670

I OWN A PROPERTY IN THE THEEWATERSKLOOF MUNICIPALITY BUT RECEIVE

I OWN A PROPERTY IN THE THEEWATERSKLOOF MUNICIPALITY BUT RECEIVE ABSOLUTELY NO MUNICIPAL SERVICES FROM THEM WHATSOEVER. I RECENTLY OBJECTED, WITHOUT SUCCESS, TO A HUGE INCREASE IN THE PROPERTY VALUATION AMOUNT. I HAVE NOW RECEIVED MY ANNUAL RATES ACCOUNT WHICH HAS INCREASED FROM R10234 LAST YEAR TO R23247 THIS YEAR, AN INCREASE OF A MASSIVE 127%. I STATE AGAIN THAT I RECEIVE NO SERVICES FROM THIS MUNICIPALITY. SURELY IT MUST BE IMMORAL OR UNETHICAL TO CHARGE SUCH A LARGE AMOUNT FOR NO VALUE WHATSOEVER?

IS THERE ANY WAY IN WHICH I CAN SEEK RELIEF FOR THIS RIDICULOUS INCREASE?
Category: South Africa Law
Expert:  Fran-mod replied 1 year ago.
I'm Fran, and I’m a moderator for this topic.

We have been working with the professionals to try to help you with your question. Sometimes it may take a bit of time to find the right fit. I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still needing assistance from one of the professionals.

Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question.Also remember that JustAnswer has a multitude of categories to help you with all your needs from Health, Pets, Computers, Cars, Finance, Law, to Home Improvement, and more.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your reply. I have not found an answer and very much need your help. Thank you.
Expert:  Fran-mod replied 1 year ago.

Thank you. We will continue to look for a professional to assist you. Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance while you wait.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Nothing else at present. I just need to know how this Municipality can charge me so much for NOTHING. Kind regards. Kingsley.-e
Expert:  Fran-mod replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your patience while we continue our search.
Expert:  Wendy-Mod replied 1 year ago.
Hello again,

We are still working with our Legal professionals to find you the best possible match. I wanted to touch base to see if you still needed a professional’s assistance.

Please let me know if you would like to continue to wait or if you would like to cancel your question at this time. We sincerely XXXXX XXXXX the extended wait time.

Thank you,
Wendy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes please. I DO require an answer.
Expert:  Wendy-Mod replied 1 year ago.
Thank you again for your patience, we will continue to look for a professional to assist you. Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance while you wait.

Best,
Wendy
Expert:  Barend B. replied 1 year ago.
Good morning,

You said you have objected already and that your objection was not successful. Did they give reasons why your objection was not successful?

Regards,
BB
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No reason was given. I just received a notification "objection rejected." I appreciate that a property must be valued but my objection is to the fact that I have been levied a huge rated account and the Municipality in this instance does not provide me with any services. I get my electricity from Eskom, my water from the dam and tanks and I pay an annual levy to the estate for other services such as grass cutting, refuse removal, general maintenance and so on. None of these services are provided by the Theewaterskloof Municipality.

Expert:  Barend B. replied 1 year ago.
Then you must launch an application in terms of the Promotion of Administrative Justice Act. The decision by the municipality to reject your objection is an administrative act and all administrative acts must be fair. By not providing you with reasons for the rejection, the municipality has acted unfairly. It is advisable that you consult an attorney to bring this application on your behalf.

Regards,
BB
Barend B., Legal Consultant
Experience: BLC LLB (Pret) LLM (Augsburg)