WCLawyer
WCLawyer, Attorney
Experience:  L.LB (UOVS)
32244620

A man is harassing me and wont let go of me. I need to do something

A man is harassing me and wont let go of me. I need to do something to give him clear idea to leave me alone. Will a lawyers letter be posible to do that?
Good day.

You can do more than that. A recent piece of legislation that came into effect will allow you to get an interdict against him, which means that if he continues to harass you, he will be held criminally liable for contravention of that order.

It holds more power than an attorneys letter and you do not need to approach an attorney for it. You can approach the Magistrates Court where you live directly. There should be qualified staff to assist you.

I am not sure what else I can advise you on, but if you have follow up questions before you rate, feel free to ask them at no extra cost. If you are satisfied with the service, kindly rate it positively. I do not get anything unless you rate the service.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Just to clarify: So I go to magistrates court and tell them my story. They them issue an interdict against him without needing a lawyesr letter? Do I take anything with me?

You go to court and ask them for assistance in obtaining an interdict in terms of the Protection from Harassment Act. They will assist you from there on and should also assist you in drafting an affidavit. You can employ an attorney if you want, but it is not a necessity.

You would have to take with you your ID Book an whatever documentary evidence you have of the harassment, such as sms's, e-mails, letters etc