How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask WCLawyer Your Own Question
WCLawyer , Attorney
Category: South Africa Law
Satisfied Customers: 15593
Experience:  L.LB (UOVS)
Type Your South Africa Law Question Here...
WCLawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My partner of three years has decided to jilt me.he went

Resolved Question:

My partner of three years has decided to jilt me.

He went through a divorce (as his marriage had broken down from a child out of wedlock) at which time he lived with me for 19 months. We agreed that he did not have to pay rent but save money to pay deposit towards a new house. He has been saving the money. I paid for most expenses including clothing for his child.

Subsequently we agreed to sell my house (after an armed robbery experience) and that we will move in together in a house that he is buying in his own name. He is currently awaiting registration of the house and has started acting up. It got to a point where it hurt so much and i asked him to leave my house.

I want to sue him for bridge of promise and that he pays me R 5000/ month for 19 months that he resided with me.


as a result i have been angry and verbally abused and threatened to move in with him like it or not. i have now found out he is with another woman and am more hurt by this. He has previously communicated our plans to a friend.

Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: South Africa Law
Expert:  WCLawyer replied 3 years ago.
Good day.

This is an info request to assist you better. Please continue on this thread.

Did he promise to marry you?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yes when we spoke. we first intended to live together like we have been for at least a year before we go ahead with marriage. especially because he needed a breather after the divorce.

Expert:  WCLawyer replied 3 years ago.
But it was a promise like, in the future we will get married. There was no specific date or time frame set, correct?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yes we had not set any date yet.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yes we had not set a date.

Expert:  WCLawyer replied 3 years ago.
1. There is an action whereby you can claim breach of promise from him in which you are to be placed in the situation you would have been had you gotten married, but since the promise seems to have been a very vague one, I am afraid it is going to be difficult for you to succeed with that action.

2. You would also not be able to claim the R 5 000 rent as you indicated you wanted to, because there was no clear agreement that, if certain conditions are not met, you would be able to claim rent from him. You were in a co-habitational relationship and the fact that he lived with you rent free, will be thrown under that blanket of a co-habitational relationship.

3. The only possible claims that you would have against him, would be for the clothing that you bought for his child, since you have no duty of support towards the child, as well as any and all contributions that you made towards the purchase of his house (the one that is being registered now).

I know that you are hurt at the moment and that you feel that you have invested a lot of time and money in this relationship, but in my opinion, pursuing the claims that you intend to pursue is going to be a further waste of money.

I know that this is probably not the answer that you have hoped for, however, I hope that you can still get some value out of it. I try my best to provide you with a legally sound and accurate answer and sometimes, it is not always good news. If you have follow up questions before you rate, feel free to ask them at no extra cost. If you are satisfied with the service, kindly rate it positively. I do not get anything unless you rate the service.
WCLawyer, Attorney
Category: South Africa Law
Satisfied Customers: 15593
Experience: L.LB (UOVS)
WCLawyer and other South Africa Law Specialists are ready to help you

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
< Previous | Next >
  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
  • My Expert was fast and seemed to have the answer to my taser question at the tips of her fingers. Communication was excellent. I left feeling confident in her answer. Eric Redwood City, CA
  • I am very pleased with JustAnswer as a place to go for divorce or criminal law knowledge and insight. Michael Wichita, KS
  • PaulMJD helped me with questions I had regarding an urgent legal matter. His answers were excellent. Three H. Houston, TX
  • Anne was extremely helpful. Her information put me in the right direction for action that kept me legal, possible saving me a ton of money in the future. Thank you again, Anne!! Elaine Atlanta, GA
  • It worked great. I had the facts and I presented them to my ex-landlord and she folded and returned my deposit. The 50 bucks I spent with you solved my problem. Tony Apopka, FL
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK

Meet The Experts:




    Satisfied Customers:

< Last | Next >



    Satisfied Customers:

  • Emil's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    BCom Law LLB, 3 years post article experience as attorney
  • LCP's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    BCom (Stell) LLB LLM
  • Freddie Lombard's Avatar

    Freddie Lombard


    Satisfied Customers:

    Practicing attorney and conveyancer with 14 years post article experience.
  • Shaie Zindel's Avatar

    Shaie Zindel


    Satisfied Customers:

    All areas of commercial and contract Law - specialist in property advice.
  • inciteadvisor's Avatar


    Commercial Lawyer

    Satisfied Customers:

    B.Com LLB Registered Corporate lawywer
  • AntonSmith13's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LLB, LLM, Cert. International Law Attorney with 12 years experience

Related South Africa Law Questions