WCLawyer, Attorney
Experience:  L.LB (UOVS)

My partner of three years has decided to jilt me.he went

My partner of three years has decided to jilt me.

He went through a divorce (as his marriage had broken down from a child out of wedlock) at which time he lived with me for 19 months. We agreed that he did not have to pay rent but save money to pay deposit towards a new house. He has been saving the money. I paid for most expenses including clothing for his child.

Subsequently we agreed to sell my house (after an armed robbery experience) and that we will move in together in a house that he is buying in his own name. He is currently awaiting registration of the house and has started acting up. It got to a point where it hurt so much and i asked him to leave my house.

I want to sue him for bridge of promise and that he pays me R 5000/ month for 19 months that he resided with me.

as a result i have been angry and verbally abused and threatened to move in with him like it or not. i have now found out he is with another woman and am more hurt by this. He has previously communicated our plans to a friend.

Good day.

This is an info request to assist you better. Please continue on this thread.

Did he promise to marry you?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yes when we spoke. we first intended to live together like we have been for at least a year before we go ahead with marriage. especially because he needed a breather after the divorce.

But it was a promise like, in the future we will get married. There was no specific date or time frame set, correct?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yes we had not set any date yet.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yes we had not set a date.

1. There is an action whereby you can claim breach of promise from him in which you are to be placed in the situation you would have been had you gotten married, but since the promise seems to have been a very vague one, I am afraid it is going to be difficult for you to succeed with that action.

2. You would also not be able to claim the R 5 000 rent as you indicated you wanted to, because there was no clear agreement that, if certain conditions are not met, you would be able to claim rent from him. You were in a co-habitational relationship and the fact that he lived with you rent free, will be thrown under that blanket of a co-habitational relationship.

3. The only possible claims that you would have against him, would be for the clothing that you bought for his child, since you have no duty of support towards the child, as well as any and all contributions that you made towards the purchase of his house (the one that is being registered now).

I know that you are hurt at the moment and that you feel that you have invested a lot of time and money in this relationship, but in my opinion, pursuing the claims that you intend to pursue is going to be a further waste of money.

I know that this is probably not the answer that you have hoped for, however, I hope that you can still get some value out of it. I try my best to provide you with a legally sound and accurate answer and sometimes, it is not always good news. If you have follow up questions before you rate, feel free to ask them at no extra cost. If you are satisfied with the service, kindly rate it positively. I do not get anything unless you rate the service.