Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law

Customer Question

I am a painting contractor doing work for a commercial landlord, we were busy painting a section of his building with airless spraying machine when a gust of wind came up and some small airbourne particles fell and landed on a vehicle. What is the procedure or law pertaining to who is liable and what is the remedy Thank you in advance

Category: South Africa Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking.

The legal premise involved here is common law whereby it says that he who is at fault must pay for the harm. If you were painting and a gust of wind caused your paint to fly and damage a car, legally you are liable and this is why contractors carry liability insurance. The liability is only to put the damaged property back to the condition it was at the time of the damage. Thus, if you could get the paint removed from the car then that is the extent of your liability.

Thank you so much for using I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered. PLEASE use REPLY to EXPERT if you would like more information or if you feel something was not included in your answer.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.