WCLawyer, Attorney
Experience:  L.LB (UOVS)

Good Day. I instructed my laywer to draw up a marriage contract

Customer Question

Good Day. I instructed my laywer to draw up a marriage contract in April 2012. I signed all the papers and he would file with an instructed attorney in Cape Town. I got married end of April 2012. When last week I wanted to buy a property I was told I should supply a copy of the pre-nup. After contacting the laywer he and I realised that the contract was never submitted and registrered with the deeds office.
Category: South Africa Law
Expert:  WCLawyer replied 3 years ago.
Good day.

This is an info request to assist you better. Please continue on this thread.

Did he offer to pay for the change of your marriage property regime?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

He now has informed he , he will direct a request to the high court to get this changed. To be honest, I dont trust him. How long should this take ?

Expert:  WCLawyer replied 3 years ago.
I think you should allow him to do it. It is his screw up and he needs to make it right. It is not a very difficult thing to do, just very cumbersome, unfortunately and quite expensive. Just follow him up and place him under terms. Tell him that if he has not started with this application within 10 days, you will ask someone else to do it and will hold him responsible for the account.

Provided that none of your creditors object (which is unlikely), it is probably going to take about 6 - 8 weeks.

I hope this helps you a little bit. If you are uncertain about anything, please do not hesitate to ask further questions at no extra cost. If you are satisfied with the answer, kindly rate the service positively.