WCLawyer, Attorney
Experience:  L.LB (UOVS)

I called a meeting with my boss at work to tell them something

I called a meeting with my boss at work to tell them something confidential.
I assured me it would not leave the room. So i told them i Had a drinking
Problem and needed to resign. But now that i am looking for work i learnt
That they have told people of my problem. Now i am battling to find work as
I live in a small town and now a lot of people know.

What action can be taken or what are my rights. I went to them in good faith
And now this has happened.
Good day.

I trust you will find this answer beneficial. This is an info request to assist you better. Please continue on this thread.

Can you prove that it came form him?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The director an HR representative were both sitting on my discussion when i was telling them my problem. When i left the company to and seek help i refered them to another coleague as a replacement for me. This coleague called a while later and asked what was up because he gad just been told that i am an alcoholic and had to leave the company.

My industry is small and this will get out further because people do talk and it started from my company. I feel this is wrong when i went on my own and in good faith to tell th.

What can i do? I feel some form of legal action is possible. Yes i cdn prove that the samep person i told my problem to has told amother colleague. What makes me angry they never even said it as i did they made out to this colleague that i was doing crazy things and was fired but i resigned. So i think this story is spreading and has to stop
Did it already have an effect on your possible future employment, or are you only anticipating the possibility?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
There is an agent that gets work for us and he is friends with this colleague. If this colleague or should i say colleague mentions this to the agent i will not know. Therefore the sgent could just keep telling me there is nothing available. This i will not know so yes i am anticipating.
The problem is that, what you allege, you need to prove. So, if you allege that they are spreading these rumors and that it is affecting, or could affect, the possibility of you getting future work, you need to prove this before you can get relief.

You can apply for an interdict that will prevent these people from spreading the rumors and if you can prove that it did affect your future employment prospects, you can even sue them for defamation of character and the damage that it caused them.

Unfortunately, this is going to be a costly affair, with the interdict alone probably going to fetch in the region of R 50 000, so I suggest that you start by going to an attorney so that he an write them a warning, which more often than not has the desired effect.

I hope this helps you a little. If you have any further questions, feel free to ask them at no extra cost. If you are satisfied with the answer, kindly consider a favorable rating. I do not get anything for the advice unless you do.