Shaie Zindel
Shaie Zindel, Attorney
Experience:  All areas of commercial and contract Law - specialist in property advice.
67955801

what is needed to abolish the PI squatter law ?

Hi There - I'm not sure I understand your question exactly - are you asking how to go about setting aside the Prevention of Illegal Evictions Act (the full name is: Prevention of Illegal Eviction from & Unlawful Occupation of Land Act 19 of 1998 (PIE Act). Please give me further info and I will try to assist. Regards
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes please, what is required to set aside this act.

Thanking you
Hi Again - that's a hell of a question for a forum like this Smile To set aside an Act you need to follow 1 of 2 procedures. The first is to have a Court (usually the Constitutional Court) order that the Act is unlawful and unconstitutional and therefore set aside or the only other way is to have Parliament withdraw the legislation - in either event you face one hell of a battle. There is talk about some amendments to the Act to offer a bit more of a fairly balanced approach. Here is an article for more info: http://www.eaab.org.za/article/prevention_of_illegal_eviction_act - I hope this answers your questions. Please remember to rate my service so far. Regards
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
This new amendment helps banks but most importantly property prices have devalued immensely in certain areas because of the squatters.
Never mind the safety of the law abiding citizens who unfortunately receive very little help from the police.
I agree with you - so your only options if the amendments don't assist you is to apply to the Constitutional Court for a declaration of invalidity or lobby government to repeal the Act. I hope this helps. Please remember to rate my service. Regards
Thanks for the rating - good luck!