Shaie Zindel
Shaie Zindel, Attorney
Experience:  All areas of commercial and contract Law - specialist in property advice.
67955801

A Uk friend of mine had his lawyer in Nigeria put his inheritance

Customer Question

A Uk friend of mine had his lawyer in Nigeria put his inheritance of $500.000.00 into a Zenith Bank ATM card from Nigeria. However, he had the lawyer put the card in my name and I have received the card here in Georgia, USA. IS this legal? Also my friend is now telling me that there is $18,000.00 Nigerian tax due on the ATM card balance of $500,000.00. He is also saying that if this tax is not paid soon, the Nigerian government will also impose a monetary penalty on the card. Am I held legally liable for any of this? I have not received a single legal document from the lawyer telling me that this account is in my name. Is this a scam to get my money? Thank you.
Leith Cobb
Category: South Africa Law
Expert:  Shaie Zindel replied 3 years ago.

SA-TOPLAW : You've been scammed it would seem. This is a typical 419 scam modus operandi. Please don't pay anymore money! Ask yourself how well you know this "friend" of yours? Have you actually met or is it all online contact? How long have you known each other? Do you know any of jh
SA-TOPLAW : His family etc etc. - it doesn't sound good to me so far. Mplease exercise extreme caution! I hope this helps. Please remember to rate my service so far. Regards