WCLawyer, Attorney
Experience:  L.LB (UOVS)

Hello, I own, without a bond, my house in my previous mariages

I own, without a bond, my house in my previous mariage's surname.
i am remarried and need to change to my new marital surname on the title deed.
How do I go about this?
I am in Somerset West, Western Cape so if there ius an attorney in the area who can assist me I can consult with them.
Thank you.
Joanne Rutherford
Good day.

I am unfortunately not allowed to make direct referrals. You can go to to assist.

The conveyancer merely needs to file a rectification. It has to be done through a conveyancer, unfortunately.

Remember that your ID number is XXXXX on the title deed. It is, therefore, not necessary as such to change your surname on your title deed, as long as your ID number reflects correctly on your title deed.

I am not exactly sure what else I can advise you on, but if you have any further questions, feel free to ask them before you rate. It will not cost you anything extra. If you are satisfied with the answer, kindly click on one of the five faces on the ratings page. I don't get anything for this answer unless you do.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you very much for that excellent advise.

Just to confirm: the name on the title deed is Joanne Rutherford with my ID no. I am now getting a new ID with the same number but with my name changed to Joanne Thalrose. My understanding is that as long as the ID numbers are the same it won't complicate my or my estate's rights of ownership in any way, at all?

It will not. You will still be the registered owner, no matter what your surname is. You are identified by both your ID number and your name. A simple marriage certificate will explain why your surname is XXXXX XXXXX from the one on the title deed.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

With my new surname but same ID no, will I be able to keep my bank and investment accounts with my previous surname?

You can change that to your married last name if you wish, or don't. You are, in the end, identified by your ID number more than you are identified by your name.