How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask WCLawyer Your Own Question
WCLawyer , Attorney
Category: South Africa Law
Satisfied Customers: 15593
Experience:  L.LB (UOVS)
Type Your South Africa Law Question Here...
WCLawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Good morning, I was sequestrated in March 2004, I have a Platinum

Resolved Question:

Good morning, I was sequestrated in March 2004, I have a Platinum Account with FNB and applied for a overdraft this was declined because of the sequestration order on ITC. According to Credit Health there is no amount outstanding on this. How long will this stay against my name and how do I get rid of it. I have maintained a healthy bank account for the last 10 years and my bank suggested that I get legal advice on how to remove it.
Conrad van Schalkwyk
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: South Africa Law
Expert:  WCLawyer replied 3 years ago.
Good day.

This is an info request to assist you better. Please continue on this thread.

Just to confirm: You have been sequestrated more than 10 years ago?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No it was on the 24th of February 2004. I have a copy of the document from the court.

Expert:  WCLawyer replied 3 years ago.
And have you paid back all of the debt that was listed in the sequestration order? I am aware that those debts are "written offf" once you are sequestrated, but this is relevant to the question about rehabilitation.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.


Expert:  WCLawyer replied 3 years ago.
Have you brought a rehabilitation application in High Court?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No , I was told that the order will expire after a certain time frame. I never followed up on it because I didn't need debt until now.

Expert:  WCLawyer replied 3 years ago.
It expires after 10 years. In other words, within 10 years, you will automatically be regarded as rehabilitated. That is also when the listing on the credit bureau will automatically be removed.

You can rehabilitate within the 10 year period and that is dealt with sections 124 up to about section 129 of the Insolvency Act. (a copy of the act can be found here)

So, in the absence of a court order that declares you rehabilitated, you are not yet rehabilitated and the listing at ITC is, for all intents and purposes, accurate and indisputable.

You therefore have the following options:

1. Approach an attorney to assist you in applying for rehabiliation if you qualify (I do not have enough information to say whether you do, but it seems as if you might qualify). It is going to be a High Court application and since you are going to have to lodge certain advertisements etc it is probably going to take two or three months.

2. Wait until February 2014, when you will be automatically rehabilitated.

I know that this is the worst possible news, and I am sorry that I have to be the bearer of bad news. If you have follow up questions in clarification, feel free to ask them at no extra cost. If you are satisfied with the answer, kindly click on one of the five faces on the ratings page. I don't get anything for this answer unless you do.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your advice, as you know I am a bit cash strapped currently, can you recommend a lawyer in Pta East area and do you have an idea what the costs will be.

Expert:  WCLawyer replied 3 years ago.
I am not allowed to make direct referrals, but you can search for a commercial attorney at

As to costs, it can probably be in the region of R 15 000 and upwards, but it depends on a lot of variables, such as the attorney that you are going to use, costs of your expenses in your area, whether someone is going to oppose it or not and a whole host of other things.

If you do obtain a quote from an attorney, get the quote in writing.
WCLawyer, Attorney
Category: South Africa Law
Satisfied Customers: 15593
Experience: L.LB (UOVS)
WCLawyer and other South Africa Law Specialists are ready to help you

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
< Previous | Next >
  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
  • My Expert was fast and seemed to have the answer to my taser question at the tips of her fingers. Communication was excellent. I left feeling confident in her answer. Eric Redwood City, CA
  • I am very pleased with JustAnswer as a place to go for divorce or criminal law knowledge and insight. Michael Wichita, KS
  • PaulMJD helped me with questions I had regarding an urgent legal matter. His answers were excellent. Three H. Houston, TX
  • Anne was extremely helpful. Her information put me in the right direction for action that kept me legal, possible saving me a ton of money in the future. Thank you again, Anne!! Elaine Atlanta, GA
  • It worked great. I had the facts and I presented them to my ex-landlord and she folded and returned my deposit. The 50 bucks I spent with you solved my problem. Tony Apopka, FL
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK

Meet The Experts:




    Satisfied Customers:

< Last | Next >



    Satisfied Customers:

  • Emil's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    BCom Law LLB, 3 years post article experience as attorney
  • LCP's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    BCom (Stell) LLB LLM
  • Freddie Lombard's Avatar

    Freddie Lombard


    Satisfied Customers:

    Practicing attorney and conveyancer with 14 years post article experience.
  • Shaie Zindel's Avatar

    Shaie Zindel


    Satisfied Customers:

    All areas of commercial and contract Law - specialist in property advice.
  • inciteadvisor's Avatar


    Commercial Lawyer

    Satisfied Customers:

    B.Com LLB Registered Corporate lawywer
  • AntonSmith13's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LLB, LLM, Cert. International Law Attorney with 12 years experience

Related South Africa Law Questions