Barend B.
Barend B., Legal Consultant
Experience:  BLC LLB (Pret) LLM (Augsburg)
20266670

I was married in a civil union in the UK to a Uk citizen who

I was married in a civil union in the UK to a Uk citizen who has already changed her surname to a double barrel name using her surname and my surname. Hers first and mine second. I have applied to change mine to be the same but home affairs tells me I can only change it so that my surname is XXXXX XXXXX hers second. In other words the other way round. Why are they telling me this? They say my maiden surname must come first. I'm under the impression that who ever read or is processing the application doesn't realize that we are both woman!!!!!
Category: South Africa Law
Expert:  Wendy-Mod replied 1 year ago.

I'm Wendy, and I’m a moderator for this topic.

We have been working with the professionals to try to help you with your question. Sometimes it may take a bit of time to find the right fit.

I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still needing assistance from one of the professionals.

Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question.

Also remember that JustAnswer has a multitude of categories to help you with all your needs from Health, Pets, Computers, Cars, Finance, Tax, to Home Improvement, and more.

Thank you,
Wendy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have not found the answer to my question yet. What additional information do you need?

Expert:  Fran-mod replied 1 year ago.
We need no further information at this time to search fro a professional for you. Thanks for your patience while we search.
Expert:  Barend B. replied 1 year ago.
Good afternoon,

You must please ask the Manager at Home Affairs to quote the legislation which dictates that your maiden surname must come first. It does not make sense that your maiden surname must be first, because then you will have different surnames. If there is indeed legislation that dictates this rule, then I believe it is discriminatory and should be scrapped. You could either approach the Equality court then, or the Human Rights Commission or you could claim it is unfair administrative action and proceed on that basis.

Regards,
BB
Barend B., Legal Consultant
Experience: BLC LLB (Pret) LLM (Augsburg)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you. My thoughts exactly but needed some clarity.