Barend B.
Barend B., Legal Consultant
Experience:  BLC LLB (Pret) LLM (Augsburg)

I started a brand new business this year. An ethnic hair salon

I started a brand new business this year. An ethnic hair salon - I took out a loan, purchased all my equipment, moved onto the property at the end of March 2013 and started trading. As with a new business I've had all my advertising info printed with address etc .... I paid my months deposit upfront and to date the landlord has not produced a rental agreement. He then told me it would be on a month to month basis.
I was notified mid month last month that he feels that my clientele do not attract the right business for his other tenants and its not working for him! I was told to by out by the end of the month. On Sunday I had to pack up my new salon and here I sit without premises ..... this is not merely moving an office as my business needs specific requirements. Was I entitled to at least 1 months notification to find alternative space. I am now not operational and having to pay business loans etc. Is this legal practice?
Good morning,

A month to month contract does not mean he can tell you in the middle of the month to be out by the end of the month. It means he can tell you in the middle of one month that the contract is ending at the end of the next month. If I were you I would refer the matter to the National Consumer Commission, because he did not have grounds to end the contract.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Dear Barend

I thought as much thank you for this advice.

Kind regards