JJ
JJ, Attorney
Experience:  Admitted Attorney 17 years experience
18691375

I am on a protein diet and went into my local Pick n Pay store

I am on a protein diet and went into my local Pick n Pay store to buy lunch and some vitamins. I bought two protein bars from the health section and ate them while I was doing shopping. I had bought 3 jerseys at the pick n pay clothing store just before I went in the food store. I had only that with me and not a basket. The wrappers fell and I put it on top of the jerseys. Later standing in the que I took a ginger beer from the fridge and drank it. At the cashier I pay for all the items including the ginger beer but forgot about the 2 wrappers in the plastic bag. IO withdraw R600 from the cashier and went to my car. The security guard ask me to turn back and the management phone the police who arrested me for theft.I appeared in the court today and have a follow up later. I did drink some cough mixture an hour before I went to the store and I felt a bit
spaced out at that time. What must I do????
Category: South Africa Law
Expert:  JJ replied 1 year ago.
Hi

Welcome to Just Answer!! Thank you for giving me the opportunity to assist you.

What happened at court today, was the matter postponed?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

They gave me a new date to return and ask if I choose to hire a private lawyer.I confirmed and must be in court on the 16th of July. The magistrate says the amount is small (R25.28) and it will probably be community work, depends on what I plea.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok, what sort of lawyer? In what category ?

Expert:  JJ replied 1 year ago.
Hi Esme

It was clearly not your intention to steal anything, and if so you would have stolen big ticket times like the clothing and not energy bars to the amount of R25!! However, if found guilty this can be listed as a criminal record and this was clearly a mistake, and to prove theft there must have been intent. The state cannotrove this. my view is that you should hire a lawyers to defend you as any gulty finding or admitting to the act will result in a criminal record. This can be disasterous. Get a lawyer involved and you can loo on www.attorneys.co.za for a reputable lawyer specializing in criminal law.

Please ask more if not clear.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The detective at the police station took a statement from me and when I ask if it is not going to harm my case, he said that it will make the prosecuter understand that I usually have lunch on the run while I have limited time and do shopping for the home. No one said to me that before that what I say will be held against me. I red the label of the cough mixture afterwards and it said " loss of concentration may occur"

Expert:  JJ replied 1 year ago.
Hi Esme

This statement might then be in advisable at court. The cough mixture can be used as a defence, you need to give all of this info to your legal representative,

In my view you should not be found guilty on these facts.
JJ, Attorney
Experience: Admitted Attorney 17 years experience
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Do you think I should contact the store owner to explain to him my intent and get him to withdraw the charges.?

Expert:  JJ replied 1 year ago.
Hi Esme

This will be first prize if you you can achieve this....
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you. How do I know if an attorney is good or not? (last question)

Expert:  JJ replied 1 year ago.
Hi Esme

Difficult to say, but suggest someone with at least 5 years experience in criminal work leaving you with a balance between experience and price...
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you. ( it is my first offence)

Expert:  JJ replied 1 year ago.
Pleasure. Even more the reason for a mere warning to be careful in future....
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Good.