JJ, Attorney
Experience:  Admitted Attorney 17 years experience

What are the legal consequences of adultery, say in a case

What are the legal consequences of adultery, say in a case where neither party is well-off, where the marriages of both parties were such that counseling had been sought and where the affair finally led to two divorces. On what grounds can damages be sought from either party?
Category: South Africa Law
Expert:  JJ replied 5 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer!! Thank you for giving me the opportunity to assist you.

It is possible to join the third party to the divorce proceedings.This can be done on the basis that this person caused the marriage to break down irretrievably. This will have to be proven to be successful in such a case. It is normally a bit difficult as the spouse usually testifies that the ,arriage has broken down long before the divorce of before he met the 3rd party.

My view is that in view of legal costs involved that one think very carefully when instituting action on these grounds.