JJ
JJ, Attorney
Experience:  Admitted Attorney 17 years experience
18691375

When is a PDP or PrdP licence required. I have CC Company with

When is a PDP or PrdP licence required. I have CC Company with a 1 ton bakkie transporting my own construction materials to sites for installation with 3 to 4 workers, my driver has been given a ticket for R200 not having a PrdP, is this correct. Can you advise?

Thanking you,
Regards,
Bob Hickman XXXXXXXXXX
Category: South Africa Law
Expert:  JJ replied 4 years ago.

Good day Bob

The National Road Traffic Act stipulates that the following drivers should have a PDP:

a) a = 4 && typeof(BSPSPopupOnMouseOver) == 'function') BSPSPopupOnMouseOver(event);">goods vehicle, the gross vehicle mass of which exceeds 3 500 kilograms;

b) a breakdown vehicle;

c) a bus;

d) a = 4 && typeof(BSPSPopupOnMouseOver) == 'function') BSPSPopupOnMouseOver(event);">mini-bus -

i) the gross vehicle mass of which exceeds 3 500 kilograms; or

ii) which is designed or adapted for the conveyance of 12 or more persons, including the driver;

e) a motor vehicle used for the conveyance of persons for reward;

f) a vehicle carrying dangerous goods the gross vehicle mass of which exceeds 3 500 kilograms or a vehicle to which standard specification SABS 1398 "Road tank vehicles for petroleum-based flammable liquids" or standard specification SABS 1518: "Transportation of dangerous goods - design requirements for road tankers" apply; and

g) a motor vehicle conveying 12 or more persons including the driver.

The only reason I can see why you would need a PDP is if a vehicle driven exceeding 3500kg. If so, all who will be driving the vehicle will have to apply.

Regards

Johann

Expert:  JJ replied 4 years ago.

Hi

Any further questions?

Regards

Johann

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi Johan,

Thanks for your reply, dose this apply to a PrdP licence as was written the ticket & what is the difference. Lastly can I send a copy of your reply to the traffic dept with the summonds.

Thanks,

Regards

Bob

Expert:  JJ replied 4 years ago.

Hi Bob

The PrdP basically replaced the PDP and just expanded on the responsibilities of drivers to be qualified. The legislation has actually not changed and still deal with the PDP!!

They tried to incorporate the conveyance of dangerous goods on vehicles and has been vaguely done in terms of legislation. However, I think that you will be able to argue that this Regulation as quoted above is not applicable to you or your business and the fine should be squashed!! You can do this under your own name by referring a letter to the local authority and see what their response is. I think technically you can get away, just depending on how much time you want to spend on this!!

Regards

Johann

JJ, Attorney
Experience: Admitted Attorney 17 years experience