CaseLaw
CaseLaw, Attorney
Experience:  BCom; LLB; Masters in Law
31036262

My son is studying his B.Com(LLB) through UNISA. His went

My son is studying his B.Com(LLB) through UNISA.   His went through a difficult time with his marriage had severe depression and completely lost contol of himself and comitted fraud at the restaurant where he was working. He tried to commit suicide 2X and lost everything that he owned. He will be sentenced soon to serve some time in prison. He is also now divorced and plan to start a whole new life when he is released. He has learnt his lesson and will never do something like that again.

We as parents are now concerned that he will not be able to use his degree once he has finished studying because of his jail sentence and may have to study something else.

Is it possible to give us some advice as we will have to pay for him to finish his studies while in jail.

Will he be allowed by law to work as a consultant or have his own practise when he is finished with his studies?
Hi there,

His jail sentence will have no impact on his continued studies in order to obtain his LLB degree, but it does not end there.

In order to be admitted as an attorney of the High Court in South Africa you need to prove that you are a "fit and proper" person who should be admitted as an attorney.

Having been found guilty of committing fraud, and having served jail time as a result of this will be a difficult hurdle to overcome. But not impossible.

You could argue that he was at a very bad point in his life, he leaned from his actions, he served his sentence, and nevertheless continued his studies. He has turned over a new leaf, etc, etc...

I don't think that it will necessarily be a complete bar to joining the legal profession.

If he is NOT admitted as an attorney, he can always work as a legal consultant! That will not be a problem, but a potential employer might question his previous conviction!!!

I would suggest that he continues his studies and makes the best that he can do in life and studies. His hard work will be rewarded!

Good luck, thank you for your question, and kindly accept my answer.

If you feel that this answer exceeded your expectations feel free to award a bonus.

Regards

GoldLaw

Please note: This answer does not create an attorney-client relationship. Please consult a local attorney in person for legal advice. This information is being provided so you can better discuss legal matters with your attorney.