JJ, Attorney
Experience:  Admitted Attorney 17 years experience

Type your south africa law question here.Good day,I need to

Type your south africa law question here.Good day,I need to know if I can be evicted if I have a verbal lease up to 30 June 2010 and had one for the last four years. The problem is that the owner of the house has been declaired bankrupt and the attorneys acting on behalf of the trustee has given me notice for the end of the month.The rent has been paid to the owner up to 30 June 2010 and I do have witnesses. Please advise.
Category: South Africa Law
Expert:  JJ replied 6 years ago.

Good day

You will have to prove that rent has been paid and if you can do so you will not be evicted. The principle applicable is "Huur gaat voor koop" and they will have to wait for your lease to expire before they can evict you.

Your biggest and most important challenge will be to proof that you paid the rent. You will have to get you witnesses together and approach the attorneys at their offices.