Dustin, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  I have vast experience with configuring & repairing and utilizing software.Also worked in The US Army as A Network Switching Systems Operator/Controller
19897260

How can I restore deleted internet history in Windows 8?

Customer Question

Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Software
Expert:  Jay D replied 1 month ago.

Hello and welcome. My name is***** will be assisting you today. I am sorry to hear that you are having such troubles and I will try my best to assist you.

Please give me a few moments to go over the question and I will look into this for you. Also please be aware that we are very busy and you may have to wait for a response, replies to you are not always instant. We appreciate your patience.

Expert:  Jay D replied 1 month ago.

what web browser is it: - IE, Edge, firefox, chrome or opera?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
i am on windows 8.1
browser is: Chrome.
this is for a past history that disappeared the laptop restarted. i can never get these pages back. i tried nearly every method on the net, including CMD, and cookies. thanks
Expert:  Jay D replied 1 month ago.

i will have a look into this, what have you tried so far so thatI can rule those methods out

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
not interested in the secure remote assistance. i have a limited budget
Expert:  Jay D replied 1 month ago.

yes please ignore that, the pop up offer is automatically generated by the website.

Expert:  Jay D replied 1 month ago.

what have you tried so far so that I can rule those methods out?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
like i mentioned, i tried the cmd, but it brought stuff that i havent seen and with limited back dates
i also tried chrome history (ctr + r), but similarly, it only gave me for the past 2 days but nothing beyond that.
i downloaded a trial of EaseUS to recover specific files, but the demo version kept forcing me to buy it, and i didnt know what file to recover.
finally, some programmers on the net are saying that all browsing history is deleted on browser, but not the hard drive, and that one can recover all history for many months ago, but i didnt know how to apply this method.
Expert:  Jay D replied 1 month ago.

Okay i will look into this thanks

Expert:  caraleneK replied 1 month ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is***** will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

Please copy this in to your browser and see if this will help you.https://history.google.com/history/

Waiting your feedback

Expert:  caraleneK replied 1 month ago.

Also have you look at your DNS cache stores your searches temporarily and deletes them when the computer is restarted. When you delete your history from the browser, DNS cache is not deleted. If this history is deleted recently and computer is not restarted, you can see all the searches.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hi. many thanks for your help
as provided earlier, google history wont work since i was signed in as a guest
Expert:  caraleneK replied 1 month ago.

have you look if you still have data in your DNS cache??

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
how do i find out whats on DNS?
Expert:  caraleneK replied 1 month ago.

The process is simple, just press Windows+R button and “Run” will open. Type “cmd” there and click on “OK”

This will open Command Prompt, there you can type this command ipconfig /displaydns and hit enter.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
yeah, i did this earlier. what i received were links to many sites that i dont recall visiting and everything on list was for the past few days, but nothing beyond that
Expert:  caraleneK replied 1 month ago.

Okay and have you look at this location on your machine. C:\Users\(username)\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\local storage

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
in local storge, i see 2 files dated 4/24/2017:
chrome-devtools_devtools_0.localstorage
chrome-devtools_devtools_0.localstorage-journal
Expert:  caraleneK replied 1 month ago.

have you unhide all your files ??

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
not at all.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
sorry, yes, i have checked "unhide files"
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
should i check "hidden items"?
Expert:  caraleneK replied 1 month ago.

From the Control Panel, type “folder” in the search box and select Folder Options.Show hidden file .Now you can see the Appdata folder under my user profile

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
is this in windows 8?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
ok, "show hidden files, folders, drives" is checked
Expert:  caraleneK replied 1 month ago.

okay thanks

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
ur welcome. i am ready for the next step whenever you re
Expert:  caraleneK replied 1 month ago.

I sure you have also done this but have you look in your bin??

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
a few folders in the bin that i deleted and dont need anymore
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
someone mentioned on google that old history can be found in "WebCacheV01.dat". is this true?
Expert:  caraleneK replied 1 month ago.

Open Google Chrome and click the "Tool" icon in the upper right corner of the browser window. Click the "All History" button to find the earliest date for which there is history recorded. This tells you the date when the history was deleted.

Expert:  caraleneK replied 1 month ago.

please tell me if you see this date??

Expert:  caraleneK replied 1 month ago.

Yes WebCacheV01.dat also store data

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
only Wednesday May 17, 2017
nothing earlier which really kills me lol
Expert:  caraleneK replied 1 month ago.

okay when have you delete you history? Also have you reboot you laptop after the data was deleted ??

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
actually what happened is that i didnt delete any history. all what happened is that the battery went dead during stand by, when i charged it and turned it on, i immediately launched chrome. when i was prompted to restore, i did, but all it came were 3 pages, while the many earlier were not there. now, i am unable to go beyond today's date in history
Expert:  caraleneK replied 1 month ago.

I am sorry to tell you this but I think your history is gone...

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
wow!!!! no way to even bring it back from a data file?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
from what i understand is that history is deleted from the browser but not the hard drive, and it takes some skills to bring it back
Expert:  caraleneK replied 1 month ago.

No sorry I think the reboot also remove the hard drive history.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
oh well. any other suggestions?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
should i try someone else on this site who may have a solution? i cant give up on this. what i am trying to retrieve is more important than you could imagine!
Expert:  caraleneK replied 1 month ago.

I sorry i know how this feel ..Have you look at your Cookies files

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
i did. same history
Expert:  caraleneK replied 1 month ago.

okay I will opt out let see just maybe someone can help you. Good luck I really hope you get this back.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
many thanks
Expert:  caraleneK replied 1 month ago.

Sorry it look like you still waiting ...

Expert:  caraleneK replied 1 month ago.

Please see if this will help you.

• Type in C:\Users\ then click your username, then AppData then Local, Google, Chrome, User Data and then Default.
  • Locate the Bookmarks file - this is not a folder.
  • Right click on Bookmarks
  • Select restore to previous session
  • Choose which date best suits your needs (CHOOSE WISELY) and click on it once and then click RESTORE not OPEN.
  • A new window will open in order to confirm this you need to press Restore again.
  • This should have restored your bookmarks to the correct day.
  • Turn off the option of "Show hidden files"

Waiting your feedback

Expert:  caraleneK replied 1 month ago.

Hello Again,

Just follow-up to see if you still need assistants I will be standing by, looking forward to your response.

Regards

CaraleneK

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
terribly sorry, as i was traveling and on transit when you posted your answer. let me try it and i will get back to you. thank you
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
i did that already, the only bookmark file i was able to find was dated to Nov 20, 2016. this may be a solution, although what i was really looking for is from Feb 2017 and on.
waiting for next step
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
just an FYI, i wasnt looking for deleted bookmarks, but rather history of unexpectedly closed browsers.
Expert:  caraleneK replied 1 month ago.

Thanks for your feedback but I think we done everything now. Are you looking for site I can maybe help you looking for??

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
no caralene. i appreciate your assistance. i am still searching for solutions on google
Expert:  caraleneK replied 1 month ago.

I am also still searching a solution for you ..Please, Rate if you are SATISFIED with my help, as this is the only way the site will give me credit for my time. If you still need help, ASK FOR MORE HELP by replying to me.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
i definitely need a solution.
i know you re trying hard and definitely appreciate your help, but may be at this time we should give someone else on this site the chance. the condition of this site is that if i rate the answer, that means i am satisfied and will consider the payment deducted. for me, i paid for "no solution" and which means that i still need to either post the question once again and hope to get someone who tried a solution and can help, OR wait for a "possible" solution from you.
Expert:  caraleneK replied 1 month ago.

Thanks will open the call again for you take care

Expert:  Dustin replied 1 month ago.

Welcome to Justanswer.com, my name is Dustin.
I'm sorry to hear about the issue you are having, I will do my best to help you resolve it.

Have you tried restoring the previous version of your bookmarks htm file or tried using the previous version feature at all in regards ***** ***** issue?

Also, when you say unexpectedly closed browsers, do you mean you want a history of browser crashes?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hi Dustin. many thanks for taking this question. 2 tried but with no luck, while some on the internet confirm that history can be wiped off from the browser but not the hard drive forensics.
what i meant was, the laptop was on sleep mode. during that time, the battery went dead. i had to recharge it, and when i turned it on, i connected to the net. as soon as i launched chrome, i received a popup/balloon asking me if i wanted to restore the previous sessions, which i did. but all it was restored where a couple of tabs, but not the rest.
i tried restoring the bookmark from a previous session (as suggested) but this didnt bring back history. thats basically it.
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 month ago.

Ok, and its history of pages you viewed, recent history.. From back in Feb?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
not at all. the history was from November 2016
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 month ago.

What month was it deleted or lost?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
i d say january, 2017 up to last week.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
this happened last week.
i am happy if i can get anything from April 2017
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 month ago.

Happened last week.. Ok..

Im not asking for an additional fee but we need to get this resolved or cancel this session and refund your money.

SO, for no additional fee would you be fine with me connecting to the specific computer the history disappeared from and seeing if I can recover the missing data?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
absolutely fine with me.
the only issue i have is that i am leaving for a meeting. i shall be back in about 3 hours. will you be online then?
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 month ago.

I will be online then. What I cant predict is whether I will be free or in a phone call / session as we work on a first come first serve basis.

However, as long as you respond to me I will let you know whether we can start right away, or need to wait half an hour. Fair enough?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
i m terribly sorry. i had such intense week. i am available online from now on. just let me know when you are available. thank you