Jess M., Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Computer Software Support specialist for more that 10 years
49766785

In 1998 while in AutoCAD school I purchased the student

Customer Question

In 1998 while in AutoCAD school I purchased the student version of AutoCAD R14. This was installed in a Microsoft Windows 98 computer for my home office. It has performed flawlessly untill a month ago.
JA: How much experience do you have with this particular machine?
Customer: The other day I tried to bring up the program and had this message on the screen, "AutoCAD ERROR ABORTING FATAL ERROR: Security System [hardware Lock or Network License] Is not functioning or is improperly installed. Serial Number: 111-99808859.
JA: Have you installed any updates recently?
Customer: I have been using this equipment on and off for more than fifteen years. Have not installed any updates in many years. This unit has not been connected to the Internet for many years as well. BERNARD
JA: Anything else you want the software expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: Nothing has changed, same program and computer all this time.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Software
Expert:  Michael Hannigan replied 1 month ago.

Hello, my name is Michael. I can help you with your question... at least the answer to it.

Unfortunately, the answer doesn't include using your Windows 98 computer or AutoCAD R14, since they have both been obsolete for years. But I can discuss alternatives.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I know they are both out of date, but they worked perfectly untill now. Its like a classic car, so what stopped it?

It's actually more like a Pinto that hasn't been serviced in 10 years that worked until it didn't any more.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I don't think I can connect to the internet with this computer any more for you. Just need a answer

You aren't going to get R14 running again on Windows 98. If that is something you can get past, I'll be happy to continue. But I don't want to waste your time.

There are reasons I say that. Such as the OS not being updatable and the inability to acquire or receive support for the R14 license. Even if you wanted to buy a new license, you can't.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I think we should close this session. I'll have to think on it somemore. Thank you for trying. BERNARD