Jess M., Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Computer Software Support specialist for more that 10 years
49766785

My mcAfee has been installing updates for days. I have

Customer Question

My mcAfee has been installing updates for days. I have turned my laptop on and off and nothing improves
JA: How much experience do you have with this particular machine?
Customer: 2 years
JA: When did you purchase your computer? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: I have just found Richard's hard restart suggestion (hold power button down and will try that). However, I am running VMware on a Mac.
JA: Anything else you want the software expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: Yes, I'm getting the re-image repair pop up which Mcafee is high risk malware. Will the updates fix this or do I have to get other software like malware bytes?
Submitted: 9 days ago.
Category: Software
Expert:  Jess M. replied 9 days ago.

Hi, welcome and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I am glad to assist you today.

I am very sorry about your issues. If you are still able to use your Windows despite the McAfee issue, I suggest that you perform a malware cleanup since McAfee services could have been crippled by the malware that it detected.

You need to download and run RKILL tool first so that it can stop all malware services running on the background. Here is the link to download:

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/rkill/

After running RKILL, it will prompt you to run your security software. This time, download and install Malwarebytes and perform a quick scan. Here is the link to download malwarebytes. Just use the free version:

https://www.malwarebytes.com/

If you are unable to use the computer due to the McAfee issue, you need to boot the computer into Safe Mode or Safe Mode with Networking and then perform the rkill+mcafee cleanup that I mentioned.

To boot into Safe Mode or Safe Mode with Networking, you need to tap and keep tapping F8 after booting Windows and then in the Advanced Boot options, select Safe Mode or Safe Mode with Networking there.

I hope that helped.

Please remember to rate my service positively (3-5 stars/faces) if this helped. Tips are always highly appreciated!

If you need further assistance, please do not rate me negatively with 1 or 2 faces. Instead, please reply to me so that I can help you further.

Thank you!

Best regards,
Jess