Jess M., Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Computer Software Support specialist for more that 10 years
49766785

I recently upgraded to QuarkExpress 2016 and I'm having a

Customer Question

I recently upgraded to QuarkExpress 2016 and I'm having a terrible time trying to reload some fonts, in particular the Sabon family and the Adobe Caslon Pro family. My tech guy spent an hour trying to get them loaded, without success. The font families are stripped down in this version of Quark, forcing me to apply bold and italic settings onto a regular font, which, when printed, do not display properly. Please help. How do I load fonts into Quark? It used to be very easy. Now it's just very frustrating. I'm using a PC.
JA: What kind of computer do you have?
Customer: HP EliteDesk 800
JA: Have you installed any updates recently?
Customer: It's a new computer installed by my tech team, so yes, lots of updates installed. Rebooted regularly.
JA: Anything else you want the computer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Category: Software
Expert:  Jess M. replied 2 months ago.

Hi, welcome and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I am glad to assist you today.

I am very sorry about the late reply. Do you still need help with this question?

Please let me know by replying to me here so that I can help you further.

Best regards,
Jess

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Your response is my first, so yes, I still need help. How do I load fonts and font families to Quark on a PC?
Expert:  Jess M. replied 2 months ago.

Thank you for writing back and I am very sorry for the late reply. Were you able to install the fonts in your Windows computer already? Also, are you using Windows Vista, 7, 8 or 10?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No, I have not been able to load fonts, nor has my tech guy, who spent 45 minutes trying after searching the web for hints and helpers. I'm using Windows 7. I was very surprised to find many of the fonts in my old version of Quark are simply not available in my newer version.
Expert:  Jess M. replied 2 months ago.

Thank you for that information. Now, can you please tell me WHERE are you loading the fonts FROM? From the CD installer?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Well, I can't because I was not the person trying to load them, my tech guy was. In the past, it was no problem simply getting and adding fonts to the font library. Why is this now such an issue? Can you simply send some directions for adding to the font library? It seems this should be a simple task. This is very frustrating. We've been loyal Quark users for years and this is pushing us closer and closer to switching to InDesign. Please give me some helpful info or a tutorial on adding to the font library. The most frustrating part of this is that you offer a particular font in a font family, but not all the members of that family. of its "children," so to speak. For instance, Sabon regular is available, but none of the other variations such as Sabon bold, Sabon bold italics, sabon italics, etc. Why is this? And, as you know, applying faux bold and italics to a regular font, as opposed to using the actual font itself, does not reproduce well in print.
Expert:  Jess M. replied 2 months ago.

I am very sorry about the issues but I just want to know the SOURCE of the fonts. If it is in the CD or DVD installer of your Quark.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Well, I'm sorry too. Again, can you simply send something that my IT guy can use? I'm not a techie, just a content manager, so I can't answer your question. Guess I'll have my tech guy try this again from scratch. Ugh! WHY IS THIS SO COMPLICATED?
Expert:  Jess M. replied 2 months ago.

It should not be complicated.

Can I remotely access your computer so that I can directly check and fix the issues while you watch on your screen?

Remote access (Secure Remote Assistance) is an optional additional service offer with a minimal one-time flat fee regardless of how long it will take me to fix the problem. We can resume any time without additional cost. It is safe as you will be watching your screen and we can chat right there, and it will be a faster mode of help.
Please let me know if you want this remote option.
Best regards,
Jess

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I would love for you to fix the problem, but my guess is you need someone other than me watching. I don't know where the fonts are and, again, I'm a word guy, not a techie, so we don't speak the same language. You'd ask a question, I wouldn't have a clue, and that would be it. It makes more sense for this to be done with assistance from a tech guy.
Expert:  Jess M. replied 2 months ago.

Ok, I understand your concerns. But if you want, we can do the remote session now if you allow, as long as you have the CD installer of your Quark. Then when technical concerns arise, we can resume when your tech is watching.