Jess M., Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Computer Software Support specialist for more that 10 years
49766785

I have an XP computer running Outlook 2010. I also have

Customer Question

I have an XP computer running Outlook 2010. I also have Outlook Express installed on this same computer. I want to copy the outlook.pst to Outlook 2010 on a new Windows 10 computer. I want to move the Outlook Express messages to the new Windows 10 computer for viewing only. I want to add the contacts from Outlook Express to Outlook 2010. how do I do all of these things and in what order do they get done.
Submitted: 13 days ago.
Category: Software
Expert:  Russell H. replied 13 days ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

To move a PST file is usually fairly easy.

Is the PST file in this case, from Outlook Express or from Outlook 2010?

Customer: replied 13 days ago.

The .pst file is from outlook 2010. moving the pst file to the new computer is easy by saving the file to a folder on the windows 10 computer and configuring the Outlook 2010 account to point to that file. My concern is how to move the outlook express data to the new computer so that I can view it while keeping it separate from the outlook 2010 pst file

Expert:  Russell H. replied 12 days ago.

In other words, there *is* no Outlook Express any more, not in newer versions of Windows.

So you cannot view an Outlook Express PST or similar file in Outlook Express on a newer computer, you have to view it some other way.

And you want it to be read-only, correct? but, do you want to be able to move or copy (easily) whole messages from that Outlook Express file, to another Outlook type application program? or not?

Customer: replied 12 days ago.

Yes I know that Outlook Express is no longer. The minimum would be that the Outlook Express messages can be read on Outlook 2010 or another mail program. If it is possible to move the Outlook Express messages to another mail program on the windows 10 computer that would be OK. What ever is easier.

OK. Let me research that requirement for a bit of time. Thanks.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.

ok

Customer: replied 12 days ago.

Russell I found a solution on the Internet. I went to www.useasxp. This is a OE that will run in Windows 7 or 10. I copied the OE Data files and imported into OE6 app. Cost me US$20.00. Thanks for your help.

I'm glad to hear that a solution was found - I would have offered one myself.

Thank you for asking your question here at JustAnswer.com.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.

Do you mind telling me about your solution?

Expert:  Russell H. replied 11 days ago.

I'm sorry: Being a day later and so many other cases worked on as well, I have forgotten most of it.

Do you still need it? or were you just curious?

Customer: replied 11 days ago.

Don't need it .I found a solution at www.runasxp.com. Morso I was just curious in case I found another unique problem

It was a simple matter of file moving and conversion, perhaps. Who knows whether it would have worked for you, but it might well have.

Thank you for asking your question here at JustAnswer.com, and have a good day.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.

OK thanks

Expert:  Russell H. replied 10 days ago.

You're welcome.