Jason Jones, Computer Technician
Experience:  10+ years of work experience.
30759776

Only* ... My computer really needs to be started over. There

For ***** ***** Only*Hi Jason...My computer really needs to be started over. There are so many things wrong with it, I couldn't begin to describe them all. I noticed that Windows 10 has a 'reset' feature and I was going to use that, but I have my 'users' and all of the data files on a different drive than the O/S. So, when I try to run 'reset,' an error message tells me that the 'user' and all of the data files need to be on the same drive. Is there some way I can fool windows into thinking that my C: and D: drives are just one big drive?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
The reason I have my user and data files on a separate drive is because I installed a SSD for the operating system, but it is only 128GB and I have WAY more data than 128GB. I separated the user and data files by using audit mode when I installed Windows 10. Then I have a script file (which I did not write) that changes where windows looks for user and data files. I've had this setup for nearly 4 years and this is the first time I've had a problem and I DO NOT think it is related to separating the O/S from the data drive.

How did your script make the changes initially? Did they edit the registry values that point to the data & user files or did it run the Windows' function for moving the user & data folders?

- Jason

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Here is the script that I used to change the User/Data files:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>-<unattend xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:unattend">-<settings pass="oobeSystem">-<component language="neutral" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" xmlns:wcm="http://schemas.microsoft.com/WMIConfig/2002/State" versionScope="nonSxS" publicKeyToken="31bf3856ad364e35" processorArchitecture="amd64" name="Microsoft-Windows-Shell-Setup">-<FolderLocations><ProfilesDirectory>d:\Users</ProfilesDirectory><ProgramData>d:\ProgramData</ProgramData></FolderLocations></component></settings><cpi:offlineImage xmlns:cpi="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:cpi" cpi:source="wim:E:/sources/install.wim#Windows 7 ULTIMATE"/></unattend>I have it saved as a file named Relocate.xml The complete description of how I did it is here:
http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/124198-user-profiles-create-move-during-windows-7-installation.html
My System drive is C: and my User/Data drive is D:

Thank you for the update. Did you use this XML file when you installed Windows 7 before upgrading to Windows 10?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
But the transition to Windows 10 went very well. Windows did not object to the user and data files being on a different drive than the OS.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
The problems that I'm having now just sort of creeped up on me. A little here, a little there, until collectively my system is pretty much fubar'd.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
But I totally dread a clean install if I can avoid it. That's why I was looking at Windows 'Reset' feature.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I've done so many tweaks to Windows I can't remember all of them. But I just take for granted what they do and I'd sorely miss them if they weren't there.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I don't like Windows 10 so I'm running a program called 'Start10' that makes Windows 10 perform and look like Windows 7. I don't think it's the problem. There are so many problems, it's hard to put my finger on a single thing that I've done that would contribute to the multitude of problems I'm having now.

Being that you upgraded to Windows 10, it becomes a little more difficult to do this.

The instructions for doing so are found on the following page: http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/1964-users-folder-move-location-windows-10-a.html

Scroll down to about halfway down the page where it says "Method 2" and follow those instructions to do what you are describing.

Please, keep me updated and let me know once that is complete.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I'm not sure what we're doing here? My User and Data files are already on my D:\ Drive. I relocated them when I installed Windows 7 and when I upgraded to Windows 10, I left them where they were and Windows 10 didn't seem to mind at all. The upgrade to Windows 10 went smoothly and I've been running Windows 10 with the files where they are for quite some time now.The technique described in TenForums is only slightly different than the one that I used in Windows 7. I've never encountered an error that appeared to be related to the User/Data files not being on the same drive with the OS. Should I proceed with following the instructions given in 'Method 2?'

Yes, only follow the instructions for Method 2. You want the files on the C: drive not the D: drive.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I don't think they will fit.

You don't have to copy the non-system files over.

For your user folder, you can skip the Documents & other related folders.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
which folders would I need to copy back to the C:\ drive to accomplish what we're trying to accomplish?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Just the system files under my folder?

In the instructions, you can see that you don't have to do that copying, yet.

Once you get to the point where windows is pointing to the C: for the user files, you can create a new account. When you do that, the new account will be created on the C: drive. Then you can worry about documents and such.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
OK.. gotcha. I don't have to copy anything right now... The folders will create themselves when I point windows to the C:\ drive for User files. Right?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
My C:\ Drive already has these folders on it:

Yes, that is correct. They will create the folders for you.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Apparently an errant app (Wondershare) hard coded the C:\ drive as the drive containing the User files and created the 'Users' folder and put its AppData on the C: drive for both my account and the Administrator account. Likewise three other apps apparently created a Public user folder. There is also a 'Default' folder with AppData from 'Media Center Programs' (probably Wondershare again) in it. Will this prevent Sysprep from completing?

That shouldn't matter. As long as you follow those instructions on the page, it will work.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
OK... I'll let you know when it's done

Thank you, David.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Should I create a new User other than 'David'?

Yes.

When you create the new account, be sure that it is an administrator account.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The system won't allow me to rate you for this question and I know you've put a lot of time and effort into it. Let me see what I can do to get it rated so you can get paid..... Dave
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Please respond to this message. I think it will reopen the question and I can then rate you so you can get paid.
Thanks.. Dave

Hello Dave,

Thank you. You should be able to rate me now.

If you need any help in the future, please let me know.

- Jason

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hi Jason... Still not able to rate you. Here's the message I got from JustAnswer that might help us get you paid:"After checking our records, it appears that your Expert ***** ***** posted information requests in response to your question, hence, there is no option to rate. In order to rate the answer, please reply to the Expert on the question page and ask that they re-post their response as an answer."
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
In case you're wondering what happened... I chickened out. Every time I depend on a system backup, something screwy goes wrong and I end up having to start Windows over from scratch, hunt around for all my registration keys so I can reinstall my software, try to reconstruct my data files and lament the loss of irreplaceable stuff like pictures and the like. I end up with a nice, fresh install although sometimes even that's not the case... I have a lot of stuff going on under the hood and leaving out half of it because I can't remember what's there always comes back around to bite me in the a**. I've got a few self-made junctions because there was no other way to fool Windows into thinking something is where it's not. At least none that I know of. And yeah... That User files on a secondary disk thing. I like having all my data on a secondary drive. That way I can narrow down where I search for something when I need it. I've got a program called "Find OnClick" which searches an entire 2 Terabyte hard drive in about 15 seconds. I don't know how it works, but it's not a humongous database file like Windows uses that has to be refreshed every time you add something to the disk or take something off.Sooooo... Send me a response that is an answer so I can rate you. Thanks.

Hello Dave,

I am sorry about that. The website should have allowed you to send a rating a while back. It is able to rate now.

In the future, if you need any help with anything in the categories below, please let me know.

On this website, I am an expert in each of the following categories listed below:
- Computer
- Networking
- Mac
- Printers
- Cell Phones
- E-Readers
- Android Devices
- Laptop
- Computer Hardware
- Software
- Email
- Microsoft Office
- Smartphones
- Office Equipment
- Programming
- Consumer Electronics

In the future, if you wish to work with me, ***** *****, you may ask your question at the following page that you may bookmark/favorite, if you wish. To be sure that it is sent to me, preface the question with "For ***** ***** Only!"
My Profile page:
http://JasonFixedit.com