IT Miro, Computer Scientist
Experience:  Bachelor's Degree in Information Technology, Microsoft Certified Professional
30721786

Reference no. 1361136363 RE: Computer not booting after

Customer Question

Reference no.(###) ###-####RE: Computer not booting after Mid-October update
I followed the instruction of Benedict D after downloading the Windows program. Updating did not work, so installed Win 10 in retain files mode. Computer appears to load normally to password, after inputting password ***** takes about 10 minutes for the computer to complete boot process. START (Apps Menu) does not pop up at all. Clicking on it locks computer for about ten seconds if you click it. Have been able to use programs by clicking on a file in “File Explorer”. Once in a program it works normally. Still, it is a frustrating work around. Since I now have access with this computer, tech support should be able to help me.
Carroll
JA: How much experience do you have with this particular machine?
Customer: Not sure how to answer your question. I am somewhat familiar. Purchased machine with Win 7 on it. Has worked fine up until now.
JA: Have you installed any updates recently?
Customer: It is on automatic updates from Microsoft. Mid-October update seemed to be a major one and it raised hell.
JA: Anything else you want the computer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: Would like to get computer back to operating condition.
Category: Software
Expert:  IT Miro replied 3 months ago.

Hello! My name is*****
I am a certified computer professional who will assist you.

Expert:  IT Miro replied 3 months ago.

To confirm, you used a Windows 10 installation media to re-install Windows 10, but that didn't help much?

Let me know,

Expert:  IT Miro replied 3 months ago.

Hello again!

I am following up with you to see if you require further assistance. Let me know by sending me a reply below.

Thanks,

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I tried reinstalling Windows 10. Start button still does not work. I ran Windows 10 diagnostic and start button still does not work. Also Win 10 takes a very long time to load. error messages pop up but with no codes. Am frustrated.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
You want additional money when I haven't received any for my original $40. What is up with that?
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Hello!! No response from you? I thought I had 7 days to get this resolved and it isn't.
Expert:  IT Miro replied 3 months ago.

Hello again!

I am here. Note that I replied to you the same day when you first came here - that was 7 days ago, but you replied back just now.

Expert:  IT Miro replied 3 months ago.

Do you want to continue or want to cancel this request?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I couldn't help that I was called away and wasn't able to complete my request for service but now I feel screwed.
If I have to pay another $39 to get my computer working, I guess we are finished.
Expert:  IT Miro replied 3 months ago.

You don't need to pay anything additionally.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I did not even get a chance to get service.
Expert:  IT Miro replied 3 months ago.

Please tell me how you re-installed Windows 10? Did you use the "Reset This PC" option where you can choose whether to keep the personal files or to remove them, or you used some other way of re-installing it?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I downloaded from Microsoft the latest version of Windows 10 to a usb drive. I then booted from the usb drive and followed the instructions on the screen.
Expert:  IT Miro replied 3 months ago.

OK. Did you choose the first option to keep the data and re-install Windows 10 over the existing Windows installation, or you went for a custom (clean) installation instead?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I ran the first option and kept my files.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
When that didn't work I ran the update option.
When that didn't work I downloaded the Windows diagnostic and ran that and it didn't work.
Expert:  IT Miro replied 3 months ago.

OK. Since the problem remained, you will need to re-install Windows 10 by choosing the second option (custom). There you need to select a disk drive containing the current Windows 10 installation and delete (format) it, and then Windows 10 will be installed as a clean installation. That will solve the Start button problem or any other you are experiencing at the moment.

Note that you will need to copy any files you want to keep to another location before doing this, such as to a removable disk drive, since everything on the Windows 10 drive (C:) will be deleted.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I figured I might need to do that. I do have a backup of my files. It will also require me to reinstall all my programs. Correct?
Expert:  IT Miro replied 3 months ago.

Yes, everything will need to be re-installed afterwards, so before proceeding, make sure you have all the product keys or serial numbers for the programs you need to re-install.

If you encounter problems, let me know. I am here to help you further.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thank you. We will give it a try. Appreciate your consideration and help.
Expert:  IT Miro replied 3 months ago.

You're welcome!

Expert:  IT Miro replied 3 months ago.

I found a video showing the procedure I mentioned:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E49IjCMKU4g

Note that you don't need to type a Windows 10 product key if asked, just skip it. Your Windows 10 will be automatically re-activated when you re-install Windows 10 since the license is saved on-line at the Microsoft activation server. You can re-install Windows 10 on the same computer multiple times without any problems.

For any questions, let me know.

Regards,

Expert:  IT Miro replied 3 months ago.

Hello again!

If you don't require further assistance, please take a moment to rate my assistance by clicking on the stars located in the upper right corner of the page.

Thanks,

Expert:  IT Miro replied 3 months ago.

Hello!

Let me know if you were able to receive my messages.