Russell H., Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Proud to have been getting computer technicalities into working order since 1988.
13568747

New a68hm=plus, cpu,memory sticks, system boots up, windows

Customer Question

Hi, new a68hm=plus, cpu,memory sticks, system boots up, windows welcome screen appears, but system reboots.
JA: Just to clarify, what's the make and model of your computer? What version of Windows are you running?
Customer: Asus a68hm-plus windows 7
JA: Have you installed any updates recently?
Customer: no,
JA: Anything else you want the computer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: that's the probem
Category: Software
Expert:  Russell H. replied 4 months ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is***** will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

Is the computer new, or has it been working until recently?

Has any work, or modification, been done on the computer lately?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hello, new I put the system together, amd CPU, new memory sticks.

OK. So what is the last thing you see on the screen, before the system restarts?

And, do you have an alternate bootup source for the system, such as a bootup CD or Windows install disc?

I think trying to boot up an alternate way would be

A. a good trouble-finding technique, and

B. it may be necessary in any case as things turn out. (Does your custom-built system have a CD or DVD drive as a part of it? I hope so.)

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No message appears system only reboots back to the windows welcome screen. Bios is set at default, I can create a flash drive boot

So the Windows logo appears?

OK... if what is on the hard drive is, a recycled hard drive/recycled installation of Windows, then that may be the problem.

Windows installs itself according to the CPU chip type used, the CPU code in detail, etc.

If you take a hard drive from one type of CPU chip-based computer, and put that hard drive with its working (with CPU-chip-"1") Windows installation, into a computer with CPU-chip-"2", the code won't work and the Windows won't boot up, may crash, or restart endlessly as yours does.

So if the hard disk is recycled from another computer, whose CPU chip was different from the current mother board's CPU chip, then that's your problem. You will need to reinstall Windows on the current CPU... or otherwise alter the Windows installation for complete workable compatibility.

(If you doubt any of the above, please give me details at least on

1. where the Windows 7 installed hard drive came from, and

2. what CPU chip was on the computer it last booted up OK with, and

3. what CPU chip is the basis of the current custom-built computer, please.)

If this answers your question, please rate my answer. A five-star rating would be appreciated!

If you need more info, or have any comments, use Reply To Expert to respond.

Thanks.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The HD came off of a dell system, I have another computer an machine, when I place the HD on the emachine it boots up no problem

Is the emachine, the custom-built system that you are asking about?

Or, is the emachine the HD boots up on, one with a CPU chip similar to the model of Dell the hard disk originally came out of?

The basic point I'm making is:

- Windows installations, e.g. a Windows 7 install in this case, are not all alike, and are *not* all interchangeable.

- some Windows installations on a hard disk, can be swapped from machine to machine, just fine. I swapped a Windows XP installed on a Toshiba laptop, into a Dell laptop, and it worked there (with a few drivers installed / added to the Windows XP, for the Dell laptop's particular cards and sub-hardware-assemblages). But I was careful to see to it that the CPU chip in the Dell matched the CPU chip in the Toshiba... that's why it worked right-off (except for some driver details.)