Martin, Network Engineer
Experience:  10+ Years Experience CCNA Network Engineer A+ Net+ Linux & Windows OS C++ Programming.
74139101

Le I just edited notes in an adobe acrobat file and then did

Customer Question

le Hi I just edited notes in an adobe acrobat file and then did file export as pdf to save. Now I can't get back into the notes when i open the file again. Is there a way to unlock that somehow?
JA: What kind of computer do you have?
Customer: Macbook Pro
JA: Have you installed any updates recently?
Customer: No I could get into all of the boxes until I closed the file and I was "saving" using the export as pdf function since there was no save functionality.
JA: Anything else you want the software expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No - just need to be able to get into those notes again if possible - it was about 3 hours work that I lost.
Category: Software
Expert:  Martin replied 5 months ago.

Hello and welcome.

How did you open the file the first time?

You might be opening the file you saved when you did save as to PDF as opposed to the original one you were editing on Acrobat.

I can help you find it if you're not sure where to look.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Hi - I opened it from an email attachment. I "saved" it along the way by exporting as a pdf. Now when I open the file I saved the boxes don't open.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I viewed my comments along the way and they were all still active until I did the final save and closed the file. then when I opened it again they are "locked."
Expert:  Martin replied 5 months ago.

Oh ok, did you close Acrobat along the way?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
No.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Any ideas?
Expert:  Martin replied 5 months ago.

Sorry, I miscommunicated my last question - I meant to ask if you closed Acrobat before trying to open it again.

What happens if you open the attachment again, does it take you to an unedited version of the file?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
actually I was mistaken - it opened automatically in Preview so that is the program I used on a Macbook Pro. Not adobe.
Expert:  Martin replied 5 months ago.

Ok and how did you edit it?

Di you just add notes to it while previewing it?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
There were comments to me in notes, and I responded by commenting in the same notes boxes to address the question. In Preview. Then I did a file export as pdf.
Expert:  Martin replied 5 months ago.

Do you see your notes in the exported PDF?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I "saved" that way as I went along and I could open all of the notes at that time even after they were closed. So yes...
Expert:  Martin replied 5 months ago.

Ok so what's currently missing or not an option?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
When I opened the file again after closing I can't open the sticky notes anymore - they are just images in the file.
Expert:  Martin replied 5 months ago.

Ok then the notes you were editing were only stored in the temporary memory part of your computer (i.e. RAM) and cannot be edited using the Preview app or regular Acrobat.

You may be able to edit it using Acrobat Pro though, have you ever used that?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
can i get a trial of that program?
Expert:  Martin replied 5 months ago.

Do you still need help with this?

Please let me know if you do.

And if you could click on one of the 5 stars at the top of this page before you close out it would be greatly appreciated.

Remember you can continue replying to me until you've got all the information you need.