Mr.Med
Mr.Med, software engineer
Experience:  if you have any questions about softwares please contact me
76221641

Adobe InDesign CS6 Color Settings question: I have a book,

Customer Question

Adobe InDesign CS6 Color Settings question:
I have a book, created in InDesign, where every page has a different background color.
On one page, where the background color is C = 36, M =28, Y = 0, K = 0, there are
different text boxes, and one text box, which is a title, has Object>Effects>Drop Shadow.
I export the InDesign file to a pdf file. Unfortunately, when I print this page with a color laser printer, the background color of the title text box is printed as a different color, as
C = 42, M =9, Y = 5, K = 0, but the background colors of all other text boxes remain as
the background color which I set for the whole page: C = 36, M =28, Y = 0, K = 0.
However if I make a jpg file out of this page and import it into Microsoft Word, the
background color is the same for all text boxes.
So this seems to be a problem of InDesign, not a problem of the printer (my printer is
Canon MF726).
How do I have to set Edit>Color Settings so that text boxes with Drop Shadows keep the
same background?
In InDesign I also created a shape with a gradation from C = 36, M =28, Y = 0, K = 0 to white, and the printed pdf file gets a gradation from C = 42, M =9, Y = 5, K = 0 to white.
How do I have to set Edit>Color Settings so that my color C = 36, M =28, Y = 0, K = 0 stays intact?
Category: Software
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Secure Remote Assistance. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Mr.Med replied 5 months ago.

Hi, I'm Mr.med. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

Expert:  Mr.Med replied 5 months ago.

Please Try choosing File > Export > Adobe PDF, then choose a PDF preset like PDF/X-3 or High Quality Print which doesn't change colors and supports tcolor management.

Expert:  Mr.Med replied 5 months ago.

let me know if you still need help

Thank you

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thanks. When exporting to PDF, it says High Quality Print PDF 1.7, and I cannot change that.
The PDF file prints the wrong colors, but the InDesign file prints the wrong colors also.
Please help. Thanks in advance.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
How do I have to set Edit>Color Settings?
Expert:  Mr.Med replied 5 months ago.
  • In InDesign CS6 Choose File > Print.

• If a printer preset has the settings you want, choose it in the Printer Preset menu at the top of the Print dialog box.

• Adjust settings as desired for your page .

• Click Color Management on the left side of the Print dialog box.

• Under Print, select Document.

• For Color Handling, choose Let InDesign Determine Colors.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
    I seem to need to set the right color settings in InDesign, not in the print dialog box, because the wrong colors get exported to the PDF file.
    Expert:  Mr.Med replied 5 months ago.

Can you try printing the page using another PDF reader ?Please download foxit reader from and try printing https://www.foxitsoftware.com/products/pdf-reader/

Expert:  Mr.Med replied 5 months ago.

For managing colors in Indesign software :

1. ChooseEdit > Assign Profiles.
    2. For CMYK Profile, select one of the following:
    • Discard (Use CurrentWorking Space)
    • Assign Current Working Space [working space]
    Customer: replied 5 months ago.
    In Assign Profiles it says CMYK Profile: U.S. Web Coated (SWPOP) v2, as it says in Edit>Color Settings.
    I still need help.
    Customer: replied 5 months ago.
    I don't think that a different conversion to PDF would help, because already the InDesign file prints wrongly.
    Customer: replied 5 months ago.
    Saying Discard doesn't help.
    Customer: replied 5 months ago.
    By the way, no matter what my background color is, at a text frame with Drop Shadows it always prints the same wrong color.
    Expert:  Mr.Med replied 5 months ago.

Try this :

Edit, click export to PDF, In the output option :

• Colour conversion select : convert to destination (preserve numbers)
    • Destination : Working CMYK - U.S Web Coated (SWOP)v2
    • Scroll down and click Export

Now open the PDF file, in top menu click Advanced, Print production, Convert colors to check printing settings then try to print.

Thank you

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
    This export doesn't help. And as I mentioned before, the problem is already in the InDesign file.
    Yes, I still need help. Thanks for your patience.
    Expert:  Mr.Med replied 5 months ago.

Can you try to print the page using RGB Colors?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
    No, I want CMYK colors. But I solved the problem now myself.
    When I print the InDesign file, in Setup>Preferences>Quality I have to say Objective: Designs (CAD).
    When I print the PDF file, in Properties>Quality I have to say Objective: Designs (CAD).
    Expert:  Mr.Med replied 5 months ago.

I'm glad to know that the problem has been resolved, If you have a moment please rate my answer by clicking on one of the stars below, positive rating are appreciated.

only Rate answer after you are 100% Satisfied. Please do not rate an answer as poor or bad service, if you are not satisfied.

Thank you

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
    Well, sorry, I am not satisfied with your assistance, I had to use my own assistance. So I will not give you any rating or more payment than the initial $5. But thanks for your patience.
    Best Wishes,
    Brigit Ananya
    Customer: replied 5 months ago.
    Please terminate our discussion without me having to rate you.
    Customer: replied 5 months ago.
    It also works to say Quality: Graphics. Good bye, I am just closing my browser now.