Jess M., Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Computer Software Support specialist for more that 10 years
49766785

I have adobe photoshop cc 2015.5. I have a macbook brand an

Customer Question

I have adobe photoshop cc 2015.5. I have a macbook brand an hp monitor. I used to be able to move photoshop from my mac onto the monitor but lately I have not been able to do so. Photoshop covers my entire mac screen and I am unable to shrink it. I can move individual panels such as the tools menu to my monitor but nothing else. I have rebooted several times, but nothing works. any suggestions?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Software
Expert:  Tarkan Serim replied 1 month ago.

Hi Michael, my name is ***** ***** I would more than happy to help you with your question.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Secure Remote Assistance. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
let's do it!

Can you let me know if you are using Photoshop on full screen mode? This is accomplished by clicking on the green button on the top left corner of the application. To easily see if you are in the full screen mode, just check your toolbar. If you can't currently see the buttons to close or minimize the application than it means you are in full screen mode

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I don't see any green bar. All I see is the black screen covering my entire Mac screen with "Adobe Photoshop CC 2015.5 in gray on top of the black screen. Above that, I can see the menu bar. That's it.

Would you like to do a quick remote screen sharing session to move things along faster? This will help me see what you are seeing on your screen, which in turn will help me assist you better.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The black screen will not budge. I have rebooted several times but with the same results.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ok
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I am responding to you on Safari from my monitor. My computer screen is occupied by the black photoshop screen.

Please give me a minute for me to start the remote session, and we can go on from there.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
ok
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
My computer will not allow me to download the session because it states that is is from an unidentified developer.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
It reads : Your security preferences allow installation of only apps from the Mac App Store and identified developers.

To by-pass this you will need to open up System Preferences, go into Security & Privacy section. Once you are there, you will see an option saying "Open Anyway" which will allow the installation to continue for this once.

This allows you to download programs that you actually trust, but your Macbook is not familiar with.

When you get the chance, please let me know if you were able to start the installation or not. If you are having trouble with the installation, we can always do it without the remote session, it might just be more difficult to asses the full situation.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I am trying to download Java but am having a hard time

Would you like me to try and resolve the installation issues, or continue without the screen sharing?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.

To clarify, is that a "yes" to continue without the screen sharing?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Java will not open.

OK no worries! Before we continue, please make sure to save your work on Photoshop if you have any open projects. Once it's saved, please let me know and I can continue.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
34;"To open this Web Start application you need to download the Java Runtime Environment"Java will not open. It tells me to click on "Run" to activate, but I could find nothing that says "run".
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Nothing open. Let's go!
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Don't know if you saw earlier posting. Java says to click on "run" to activate, but I could find nothing that says "run".

Alright! So, let's first make sure that you have extended display enabled on your Mac. To do this just follow these steps:

1. Connect and turn on your additional display (which should already be on in your case)
  2. From the Apple (apple logoon the top left of your screen) menu, choose System Preferences.
  3. Choose Displays.
  4. Click the Arrangement tab.
  5. Make sure that the Mirror Displays checkbox isn't selected.

Yes, I did see that message as well. If these steps resolve our issue, we will not need to install Java, as that was only for screen sharing software we use at JustAnswer.com

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
What is highlighted is "arrangement".
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The larger monitor image is situated above the smaller computer screen image

So when you are in the "Arrangement" setting, do you see an option towards the bottom of the page that reads "Mirror Displays"?

It should be right under where you see those monitor images

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
u see it

Is the checkbox next to "Mirror Displays" checked or unchecked?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Unchecked

OK, that is good. Now in the monitor images, can you let me know how the smaller computer screen is placed as compared to the bigger screen? Is the smaller screen on the left/right/above/below of the bigger one?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
smaller is under the larger
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Smaller screen is directly below the larger screen

OK, that helps us as well. Now, can you click anywhere on your MacBook screen and let me know what the gray toolbar reads?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
when i click on the gray toolbar it shows me my photoshop option for the eraser tool
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I can also see my toolbar menu to the left and some other menus to the right

Is your MacBook screen still black as you mentioned in the beginning, with just the gray toolbar reading Photoshop?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
If i do not click onto the gray bar, it just reads adobe photoshop cc 2015.5 and the black screen. when i click onto the gray bar, that's when the eraser tool etc. are visible

OK, this helps as well. Now let's try this. Click anywhere on the black area of your MacBook screen and on your keyboard press the following combination: Control + Command + F

Let me know if this changes anything on your screen.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
nothing changed. I tried taking a photo of the screen to send to you but I don't think you got it.

I did not get the photo unfortunately.

Let's try this now, again on your MacBook screen, where you see the gray toolbar that says Photoshop, there should be an option that reads "View". Once you click "View" all the way at the bottom, there is an option that either reads "Enter Full Screen" or "Exit Full Screen". Can you let me know if it says Enter or Exit?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
In view all options are frayed out except proof set up, screen mode and show. In screen mode, the sidebar says standard screen mode which is highlighted and checked
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Grayed out, not frayed out. Sorry

No problem Michael! It looks like this is a situation that I have not encountered before based on your answers, so I am going to opt-out to allow a more senior expert to jump in and help you, is that OK?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The "show" option is all Grayed out except for "show extra option"
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I have about another 30 minutes free and then I need to leave.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
It looks as though I will not hear from another technician before tomorrow. Is this correct? If so, I will sign off now.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I figured it out.