IT Miro, Computer Scientist
Experience:  Bachelor's Degree in Information Technology, Microsoft Certified Professional
30721786

For who is very familiar with Crashplan back up software, I

For who is very familiar with Crashplan back up software, I need to back up files from another computer which is connected by the same network locally using network mapped drive. CrashPlan techsupport won't be able to help me with this issue since it's out of their scope they said but also said there is a way to do but just they can't teach me how. please advise if you know how.

Hello! My name is*****
I am a certified computer professional who will assist you.

I've tested Crashplan myself, so I should be able to assist you.

To confirm, you want to store backup files from another computer to your computer over the network?

Thanks,

Customer: replied 1 month ago.

Hello again! Sorry for the delay in response.

Here are the instructions on how to do the backup from another computer and store the backup files to your computer over the network. In order for this to work, both computers need to be connected to the same network and you need to map a network drive.

1. Start CrashPlan on the other computer. You actually don't need to have CrashPlan installed on your computer even though you might see messages that you should
2. Click on Destinations
3. Click on the Folders tab
4. It mentions "local folder". If you have already mapped a network drive, Windows will use the mapped folder the same way as any other local folder. Click Select...
5. Choose a network drive and a folder within in. If you need to create a new folder, then click Cancel and use File Explorer in Windows to create a new folder, and then select that folder in CrashPlan since you cannot create a new folder within the CrashPlan selection window
6. After you have selected a destination folder, click the Start Backup button and the backup will begin

Let me know if it worked.

Regards,

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I've already tried that but the mapped drive doesn't show on that select directory page.
This is the instruction I got from CrashPlan but couldn't understand but maybe you would. http://support.code42.com/CrashPlan/4/Backup/Backing_Up_A_Windows_Network_Drive

Hi again!

OK, I will check it. Please tell me which Windows version is installed on both of the computers?

Thanks,

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Mine is W7 and the other one is W server 2008

OK. Have you already created a mapped network drive on the Windows Server 2008 computer? To verify if it has been successfully created, open Windows Explorer there and see if there is another drive letter available, that once clicked on, opens a folder that points to your Windows 7 computer.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Sorry, one correction. My computer is W7 and the other one is XP not server. I created the mapped drive on my W7 computer from the XP computer so when I check windows explore, I see that drive as Y and works good so I can aceses folders or files from that computer.

Thanks for the update!

I have installed CrashPlan on both Windows XP and Windows 7 computer. I previously created a mapped network drive on both computers and CrashPlan could normally see the mapped drive as if they were my local drives when I clicked on the "Select..." button in the Folders tab of the CrashPlan window.

Here is a screenshot of CrashPlan installed on my computer, showing that two mapped network drivers are accessible by CrashPlan:

PICTURE

I am not sure why CrashPlan on your computer cannot see the mapped network drive. Note that I didn't use the special instructions for creating a mapped network drive you provided a link for, since I don't see how that is actually needed. Any user-created mapped network drive is fully accessible for all installed programs, including CrashPlan. As mentioned, I tested this on both Windows XP and Windows 7 computer.

Anyway, in case your CrashPlan still cannot access the mapped network drive when you click on the "Select..." button in the Folders tab, you can use another method of saving backup to another computer.

Here are the instructions:

1. Install CrashPlan on both your Windows XP and Windows 7 computer

2. Use the same CrashPlan account for both computers

3. Start CrashPlan and click on Destinations

4. Click on the Computers tab

5. You should then see both your computer names listed there. Click on your other computer name and then click on the Start Backup button

6. The backup will start and use your other computer to save the files over the network

If even that doesn't work for you, I can remotely connect to your computer and check the issue.

Regards,

Hello again!

Were you able to successfully follow my instructions? If so, did they work on your computer?

Let me know,

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No I don't see the mapped drive Y on the computer tab page's list

Hello! My last instructions describe another backup method in case the mapped drive is unavailable. Did you try that as well?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I'm aware of this method but wanted to use mapped drive since they no longer support XP which means Crashplan won't work on XP soon.

I tested both methods on my Windows XP computer and they work just fine.

Note that whenever a company says they will stop supporting a program, they are referring to stopping issuing new program versions and stopping giving technical support. Existing version that you installed and configured will still work the same way in the future. That means that if the second backup method works for you, it will work just fine in the future as well. New versions are usually released to support new Windows versions, such as Windows 10. Since you use Windows XP, there is no reason to install a newer version just because it is "newer". Always read the version changelog to see what exactly this new version brings compared to the "old" one.

If you require further assistance on this, let me know.

Regards,

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I'm sorry but I was already aware of the 2nd method of back up but I need to back up using mapped drive and it's long story to explain. please help me to fix this issue.

Since my text instructions didn't work, I will need to check the problem via a secure remote assistance. That way I will be able to see the problem myself and help you directly.

Let me know if you would like that, and when you are available to begin.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Can you kindly do it for $20 and also help me with setting up one mapped network drive from another computer(windows 2000)?

Hello!

Yes, I am able to do it for $20. I will now send you an offer for a secure remote assistance with the lowered price. Please accept it when you are available again and we will proceed.

Regards,

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Sorry but I decided not to back up using mapped drive, I will rate you good though.