Russell H., Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Proud to have been getting computer technicalities into working order since 1988.
13568747

Can you transfer a 1954 kinescope of Arthur godfrey show

Customer Question

can you transfer a 1954 kinescope of Arthur godfrey show into something to view today
JA: What kind of computer do you have?
Customer: I use the ones in the library
JA: Have you installed any updates recently?
Customer: no I do not have a home computer
JA: Anything else you want the computer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: just wondering how I can show my family the kinescope if I just use the library computer
Category: Software
Expert:  Russell H. replied 4 months ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

I think that the likeliest way to be able to show a given kinescope preservation of a TV program, would be to find a duplicate of it in an online archive where it is already converted to digital video, and playable on any computer. For instance, there is the Prelinger Archive

https://archive.org/details/prelinger

which preserves many short films in an online viewable format.

I'm not sure that your particular Arthur Godfrey show film was preserved in the Prelinger Archive. But it may perhaps be found elsewhere, given a sufficient search for a sufficiently detailed description.

As for actual conversion services, for kinescope-to-modern-video, that sort of service is rare and hard to find. And would no doubt cost anyone who hired such a service, considerable money, at a guess.

Let me know what you prefer, or what you are looking for, and I will advise you further as needed. Thanks.