Jess M., Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Computer Software Support specialist for more that 10 years
49766785

This project requires knowledge of UML diagramming for a

Customer Question

This project requires knowledge of UML diagramming for a software engineering project. You will need to use draw.io to create the diagrams, or at least a platform that can export to a file format that draw.io can import. The details for the client request can be found here: http://pastebin.com/YAYZD67m. However, you only need to worry about two of the required use cases: Pick-up Tickets (Actors are Customer/Employee) and Print Reports (Sole Actor is Employee). So, for these two use cases, you will need to create a use case diagram, use case specifications, class diagrams, sequence diagrams, and a test plan. More information can be provided as need. Also, to be clear, there is no coding involved. Only diagramming.
Category: Software
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I'm willing to tip very well. Please respond. This is not a project that will require a lot of time, nor does it require a very complex response.
Expert:  Bruce Wilner replied 4 months ago.

I would be delighted to assist you. I have worked as, among other things, a professor of computer and electronic engineering. I need to see the requirements posted in their entirety. Thank you for your cooperation.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hi Bruce. Thanks for responding. I have added, as an attachment, the entire list of use cases that you will need to be aware, for the purpose of extending/using. But again, the only use cases you actually need to create diagrams for are Pick-up Tickets and Print Reports. I'm going to upload some example diagrams in a moment.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Attached are examples of the Login and Register use cases. This should be the format for the Use case diagrams.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Here is the use case specs for Login and Register (aka Create Account)
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Here are the class diagrams for Login and Create Account, for example.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Here are sequence diagrams for Login and Create Account.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
finally, here is an example test plan for Login and Create Account.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
these examples should show you the level of detail expected, as well as the format.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
How soon do you think you can complete this project?

Hold your horses. (I apologize for the archaism of that idiom.)

UML means various things to various people. It's one of those terms, like "schema" or "entity-relationship diagram," that is partially in the eye of the beholder: "an ERD requires table schemata"; "an ERD should never include schemata"; "rectangles and ovals don't belong on the same diagram"; etc.

THEREFORE, please include a snapshot of a sample OUTPUT that looks like what YOU, PERSONALLY, wish to have produced. That's the best and CLEAREST way of conveying your wishes.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The attached documents above are all examples of expected output. The examples show the Login and Register (Create Account) use case diagrams, use case specs, class diagrams, sequence diagrams, and test plan from the same project that I'm asking you to work on. Only, you are working on the use cases Pick-up Tickets and Print Reports.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I also provided the entire list of use cases above.

Where are the use cases? I presume they're in Test Plan?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The use cases are in Use Cases.txt, the attachment to my first reply to you.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
You also saw the details of the client request, correct? For reference: http://pastebin.com/YAYZD67m
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I'd be glad to help clarify if there's any confusion. Just let me know.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Also, do you have any idea how long it will take to complete?

With all respect, the best way to ensure satisfactory results (let's target that on the first go-around then perfect it when we know we're going in the right direction) is to collect the requirements in one place, not to

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Just to clarify, are you asking me to include all attached documents from above as attachments to one response to you? Or are asking me to include all of the example diagrams into one document?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
to be clear, each diagram needs to be a separate document. And the use case diagrams, class diagrams, and sequence diagrams need to be compatible with the Draw.io platform.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Because I'm going to have to import them into a separate file with the rest of the diagrams (the ones you are not being asked to work on) from the project.

I apologize. I really don't mean to make extra work for you: you came to JustAnswer.com for answers, not for questions! However, we have learned that the best way to guarantee outstanding results is to go through the exercise. I promise you will find at least one thing that you in/excluded that you meant to ex/include.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I'm not sure that I follow, Bruce. I'm asking you to create 2 use case diagrams (one for the use case Pick-up Tickets and another for the use case Print Reports), 2 class diagrams (one for the use case Pick-up Tickets and another for the use case Print Reports), 2 sequence diagrams (one for the use case Pick-up Tickets and another for the use case Print Reports), 2 sets of use case specifications (one for the use case Pick-up Tickets and another for the use case Print Reports), and a test plan including one for the use case Pick-up Tickets and another for the use case Print Reports. The attachments that I provided above show each of the required diagrams/documents for 2 other use cases from the same overall project (Login and Create Account).
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Can you explain what you are unsure about? Are you not sure about the expected format? Are you not sure about what the expected deliverables are? Are you not sure about the use cases themselves?

Web site operating strangely please bear with me for a moment here.

Thanks. You posted great stuff and that was a pretty solid narration. Can you possibly collect all of that material into ONE posting (a Microsoft Word DOC file, if you would be so kind, NOT a DOCX file) that narrates things and intersperses pictures (bodily inserted, NOT "by reference")? I promise that that exercise will also clarify things in your mind and simplify the task for BOTH OF US.

FYI, relevant credentials for premium service officer: chief architect and principal scientist of Trusted RUBIX B2, the world's first multi-level secure relational DBMS for multi-level secure UNIX; significant contributor to National Security Agency's "Trusted Database Interpretation" and two other National Computer Security Center "Rainbow Books"; leading (although not THE leading: that was my friend, Barry) author of the Defense Information Technology Security Certification and Accreditation Process (DITSCAP), forerunner of NIACAP and FISMA; designer of firewalls/perimeter networks still deployed at Nuclear Regulatory Commission, Department of Transportation, United States Agency for International Development, Federal Energy Regulatory Commission, and United States Courts.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Bruce, I don't mind collecting all of the examples and description of the project into one document. But, I don't understand the offer of a Powerpoint presentation and "detailed narration". This is simply a software engineering project where I'm requesting that you create diagrams based on the two use cases, Pick-up Tickets and Print Reports. I'm also not asking you to write any code or implement what is contained in your diagrams. I am only asking for the diagrams themselves.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I feel like maybe we are not on the same page, so it might be best to retract my request and look elsewhere for a solution.

We are COMPLETELY on the same page, I am asking you to organize the work just a tad better, not just toss up a dozen or more diagrams with a sentence interspersed here or there. But the decision is yours.

IMHO I'm not even sure why all this diagrammatic apparatus is even necessary for something as simple as "log in."

Let's try this: can we take two steps backwards and examine what the original, end-user requirement is? Never mind the intermediate diagrams and stick figures and gingerbread people.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Ok, I will compile the examples into one document.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Bruce, this is for an academic project. This is not going to be implemented in the real world.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Maybe I should have been more clear about that in the beginning. I apologize for that.

YOU ARE THE BEST!!!

Obviously it's an academic project. Obviously, since I've done time as a professor, I can sniff that out AND address it in the way that your prof likely expects. You wouldn't know if he/she is a diehard ACM curriculumist, would you? And I didn't say you were unclear. You have provided plenty of material. But there's more to life than material! I mean, getchar(), fork(), and execve() gives me enough apparatus to build a shell! But it takes more than that . . .

Can we examine this in the morning? It is getting late here. You wouldn't be on the West Coast, now, would you?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
We can examine this in the morning, and I am on CST. But, I would like to ask, how long do you believe this project will take to complete? I only ask because I need the result of your work within the next 2 days.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
If this is not possible, please let me know. It will not be your fault if the time limit is unrealistic. I just want to be clear about when I need this to be completed by.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Also, to your question about the end-user requirement, did you read the client details that I provided at http://pastebin.com/YAYZD67m? I will include this in my summary document, but I just want to make sure that you were able to access the details.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
My apologies, please remove the question mark from the URL above, or just click here http://pastebin.com/YAYZD67m

It will not take two days! I have other tasks to attend to, but I am an efficient worker, and I am my own harshest critic. Did you read the credentials? Aren't they, like, beyond ridiculous? I promise you a timely, excellent result. Caveat: if I have to do any artwork by hand, it will probably be illegible, inscrutable, and every other ill- and in- that you can think of!

pastebin.com, eh? I really hate those dropbox things that are like one-half step above a wiki, publicly destructible and publicly plunderable (looking for a better word that uses the Greek root harpax-, but I'm too tired just now). Can we pick it up in the AM? I tend to hang around here. All it takes is an extra browser tab and a clear head! Have a terrific evening (what's left of it).

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Your credentials are impressive, Bruce. Trust me, I'm not challenging your qualifications. I just want to make sure that you will have the time to complete the project, because it will be disastrous if by Friday I do not have a finished product. Disastrous for me, not for you.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Ok Bruce, I'll speak to you in the AM. Take care.

Rock and roll, as they say.

(Why do they say that?)

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I have no idea, but I hope someone does.