IT Miro, Computer Scientist
Experience:  Bachelor's Degree in Information Technology, Microsoft Certified Professional
30721786

I have a computer that i plan on restoring to factory

Customer Question

Hello Michael, I have a computer that i plan on restoring to factory settings. the programs I am most concerned about re-instaling are my Peachtree, Act and my Microsoft office suite including, outlook, excel, word etc... can you help me with what the best way to go about doing this is?
JA: Just to clarify, what's the exact model of your computer? And what operating system are you running?
Customer: sorry Pearl, thought it was michael... its a lenovo thinkpad yoga, where do i find my operating system info?
JA: Have you installed any updates recently?
Customer: yes
JA: Anything else you want the computer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: Software
Expert:  IT Miro replied 7 months ago.

Hello! My name is*****
I am a certified computer professional who will assist you.

Expert:  IT Miro replied 7 months ago.

Micheal is not available at the moment, so I will assist you.

Please tell me if you have an installation media for any of the programs you mentioned.

Thanks,

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
you mean discs for the programs? No, I downloaded and installed all the programs from online.
Expert:  IT Miro replied 7 months ago.

OK. In that case, you can do the same after restoring the computer to factory defaults. The setup (installation) files are usually saved to the "Downloads" folder, so you can check if they are still there. If they are, you can copy them to a removable disk drive so that you can run them after the restoration. In case you don't see them there, you will need to download the setup files from the Internet again - you just need to know the account e-mail address and password ***** used for registering or purchasing a particular program. That way you can re-install the programs using the existing information (license).

Let me know if you are able to do that.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
What are the files that I actually need to have saved on an external hard drive? Is there a certain type? Should I run backups for these programs? I really don't want to miss something and not be able to access my info later.
Expert:  IT Miro replied 7 months ago.

Before proceeding with the factory restore, make sure to check all private folders that are located in this location:

C:\Users\[your user name]

For example, folders named:

Desktop

Documents

Downloads

Music

Pictures

Videos

You can manually copy them to an external drive since those folders contain all your personal data. Just select them, right-click and select Copy. After that, go to the external storage, right-click and select Paste.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
ok, i've done that. But it appears the files I need for Sage50 and Act are not in any of those folders. should I run a backup of both those programs onto an external drive and once I reinstall them, restore them to that back-up?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Also, how do I save all my bookmarks from my Chrome browser?
Expert:  IT Miro replied 7 months ago.

Hello again!

After you have created a backup of the personal files and folders, you can do the same for program databases and user settings (profiles).

Sage 50 stores its database into this location:

- for 32-bit Windows version - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sage\MySQL

- for 64-bit Windows version - C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\HR

Sage 50 user settings are saved into this location:

C:\ProgramData\Sage\HR\Data

act! stores its database under the Documents folder. Full location is:

C:\Users\[your user name]\Documents\ACT

act! user settings (Indices) are saved into this location:

C:\ProgramData\Act

The ProgramData folder is hidden by default. To easily access it, press the Windows logo key and R key at the same time to bring up the Run box, and type:

C:\ProgramData or %ProgramData% and press Enter. The folder will then open.

So, you can copy all those folders mentioned here to manually create a backup of the files used by Sage 50 and act! You can also use backup and restore within the program itself.

As far as Google Chrome bookmarks, history, add-ons, saved passwords, etc go, that is all saved under your Google account if you are signed in. To check that, start Chrome and click on the button with 3 lines located in the upper right corner of the Chrome window and select Settings. At the top, under the Sign in section, you should see your Google account. If you see it, it means all the user data is synced with your Google account and everything will be automatically restored once you re-install Chrome and sign back in with the same Google account.

However, if you aren't signed in with your Google account, or just want to create a local backup of your Chrome data, you can backup this folder where Chrome stores the user data:

C:\Users\[your user name]\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome

The AppData\Local folder is hidden by default. To easily access it, press the Windows logo key and R key at the same time to bring up the Run box, and type:

%LOCALAPPDATA%

Also, most other programs usually save the user data under the AppData\Roaming folder so you can access that one as well and check the folders there to copy the ones you might need. Press the Windows logo key and R key at the same time to bring up the Run box, and type:

%AppData%

For example, if you have Mozilla Firefox web browser installed, your user data (profile) is saved under:

C:\Users\[your user name]\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox

I hope this helps!

Regards,

Expert:  IT Miro replied 7 months ago.

Hello again!

I am following up with you to see if you require further assistance. Let me know by sending me a reply below.

If you don't require further assistance, please take a moment to rate my assistance by clicking on the stars located in the upper right corner of the page.

Thanks,

Expert:  IT Miro replied 7 months ago.

Hello!

Let me know if you were able to receive my messages.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thanks Miro, so far I have managed to install and restore my Sage50 but am still working on re-installing Act. I will let you know once that's done.
Expert:  IT Miro replied 7 months ago.

Hello!

Sure, no problem. Take your time and let me know if there is anything else I can help you with.

Regards,

Expert:  IT Miro replied 7 months ago.

Hello again! How is it going?

Have you had a chance to re-install Act yet? Is there anything else I can help you with?

Let me know,

Expert:  IT Miro replied 6 months ago.

Hello!