Jess M., Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Computer Software Support specialist for more that 10 years
49766785

FOR HANNIGAN: photoshop

Customer Question

FOR ***** *****NIGAN: photoshop
Category: Software
Expert:  Josh replied 6 months ago.

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you. Let's get started!

Expert:  Josh replied 6 months ago.

Do you receive any error messages?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
hello, I am sorry Josh i meant this question for ***** *****nigan
Thank you anyways,
Abby
Expert:  Josh replied 6 months ago.

No problem, Abby.

I will opt out and let him reply.

Expert:  Josh replied 6 months ago.

Abby,

I did want to reply back and let you know that Mike may not be on for a while so if you would prefer that I help you then please let me know. It could be hours, days, or weeks.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
For ***** *****nigan about Photoshop
Hello Michael, how are you? I have a new Photoshop problem for you. I am having problems with Photoshop CS6 extended.
I am running OSX System Mavericks on a Mac Pro 3.5 Ghz 6- core intel Xeon E5 Memory 32 GB 1866Mhz DDr3 ECC
Graphics AMD FirePro D500 302 MB with a 1 TB solid-state hard drive.
Photoshop Is collapsing my documents, deleting layers without me unchecking layers box. It is also doing this with the same file saved in multiple locations on multiple drives. Why is this happening and how can I prevent it? Here are screenshots from 2 different forums where others encountered the same issue to help better explain.
Thank you for your help,
Abby
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Josh mm i am not sure I do need help now I did want to speak to Michael. Do you think you could help me with the issue above?
Thank you,
Abby
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
its also has completely flattened files on my secondary hard drives
Expert:  Benjamin Larson replied 6 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I would love to help you with your question.

I am wondering if this is the issue and solution to what you are seeing? https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1169768

Also, to avoid these issues in the future, you may want to start using version control software. It is used primarily for programming code, but would certainly be useful here to protect you against issues like this. If you are somewhat comfortable with computers you may want to take a look at software called git. It is free, but takes some learning.

If the information I gave you was enough to solve your issue, excellent! In that case I would be grateful if you could please rate my answer. Otherwise z please reply here and I will keep working on your issue with you!

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hello, Benjamin, thank you. no I think I did mention above that I never unchecked the layers box. Nor did I change any documents to PDF. I did have some elements of my document saved a temporary items because they were smart objects, however not the document itself. I also like to mention
Even as I am working on the files (which I do have to admit are huge! Sometimes over 200 layers including layers dragged from other documents and smart objects some of my documents are two GBs big) Photoshop will delete layers right from under my nose . In fact just recently it did this to me it deleted my background layer so all it left me with was eyes hair and teeth it was very creepy looking. So to sum up not only is it flattening my documents but it's deleting layers and compressing documents even while working on them. I have to apologize I'm very dyslexic and I have difficulty with spelling punctuation and arithmetic. Will this program that you're talking about be difficult for me to use? How do I use it? How can I resolve this issue?
Abby

I apologize Abby, I am unable to find further information on this issue. I will bow out and let another expert assist you.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Ok, Thank you for your help,
Abby
Expert:  Jins M. N. replied 6 months ago.

Hello Sir/Madam. Thank you very much for giving us an opportunity to help you. I am Jins here to assist you. Please remember these things when we deal with your issue. It may take more than one step/answer to solve a problem. So If my answers don’t work or if you are not satisfied, please don’t Rate my answer as Bad or Poor Service, but please Reply back to me by clicking the “Continue Conversation” or “Reply” button and I will gladly continue to help. Remember, only Rate answer after you are 100% Satisfied. Please do not rate an answer, if you are not satisfied.

Can I remote onto your Machine and have a look at your problem? It’s fully secure and you can see what I am doing at all times. If you wish please accept my remote support offer and let me know your time zone and the time period you prefer for remote support. Then I can send you the details to connect.

Regards
Jins

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hello,Jins, I would prefer you telling me what I can do so in the future if this happens again I can handle this problem myself
Thnak you,
Abby
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
If I may ask please what do think the problem is?
How can resolve it? So it never happens again.

I need to check the situation first, then only I will able to give you the instructions to avoid this in future.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I Will wait for Michael he is very familiar Photoshop since he was part of the original of development
Thank you,
Abby
Expert:  Bruce Wilner replied 5 months ago.

Hello.

It seems you have been waiting a solid week for ***** *****nigan. Is there any chance that someone else who was not part of "the original of development" can assist you?

Thank you for your alacritous feedback and anticipated cooperation.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Bruce, I please would still like some help however I do not like the idea of my computer being accessed from a remote source.
I instead would like specific instruction of what is going on with my problem and how to handle it. Do you think you would be able to help me with this? If not I like to please wait for someone who can help me in this matter. So if you're unable to help please opt out so other technician to come along that can help me
Thank you,
Abby

Hi, Abby! I happen to agree with you on the remote commandeering thing: I was never a fan of that idea.

However, some customers are delighted with it. I promise you: I won't do anything bad. Of course, you don't know me, so how reassuring can that assertion ultimately be?

I don't mind giving detailed instructions, but the problem with that approach is that they end up not being followed 95% of the time. You see, I don't know you, either! So I have no idea what would be followed vice what would be interpreted.

Not all that long ago, I was working over the phone with someone who said, "Yes, you can use alpha-bravo-charlie, I understand." Imagine my shock and horror when I suggested that the guy (let's call him Jsmith) log in as juliet-sierra-mike-india-etc. and the guy started dictating to me as he typed: J-U-L-I-E-T-S-I-E-. . .

I hope you found that funny. It is somewhat funny, but, remember, I'm here trying to help people, and it came across to me as utterly heartbreaking.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
i I appreciate the humor unfortunately being dyslexic I'm not sure I quite understand it%3, Bruce, the reason I would prefer to not use remote access is because I need to be able to fix this myself I need to understand what is going on to be able to fix it because it seems to be something that continuously happens so I really need to have the knowledge myself so I can rely on me in the future. So do think you can help me?
Thank you,
Abby
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Hello to whom it may concern , I have the same question from before however I I please like to note I am looking forPhotoshop expert and software engineer who will give me detailed explanation and solution so I can rectify the problem myself please. I am NOT looking for help with Remote access . Please understand I need to To rely upon myself in the future to resolve these problems when they occur. Thank you.Now my same question:For ***** *****nigan about Photoshop
Thank you for your help,
Abbymore info:
I never unchecked the layers box. Nor did I change any documents to PDF. I did have some elements of my document saved a temporary items because they were smart objects, however not the document itself. I also like to mention
Even as I am working on the files (which I do have to admit are huge! Sometimes over 200 layers including layers dragged from other documents and smart objects some of my documents are two GBs big) Photoshop will delete layers right from under my nose . In fact just recently it did this to me it deleted my background layer so all it left me with was eyes hair and teeth it was very creepy looking. So to sum up not only is it flattening my documents but it's deleting layers and compressing documents even while working on them. I have to apologize I'm very dyslexic and I have difficulty with spelling punctuation and arithmetic. How can I resolve this issue?
Abby