Byron
Byron, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  12 years in operations at a large law firm supporting both retail and specialty applications.
13274453

How to blackout text from pdf without adobe

how to blackout text from pdf without adobe

Hello Max,

Thank you for using this service. I will help you now.

What exactly do you mean by "without Adobe"? Are you asking if there is a FREE pdf editor that supports redaction ... other than Adobe (acrobat)?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I tried to use Tracker Software, but can't figure out how to do it

PDF format is proprietary to Adobe. So while there are some "free" editors out there, they involve converting a PDF to other formats (like Word), and so on. Basically, there is likely no "free" solution, and from a work perspective, refusing to purchase acrobat will wind up costing you more than just buying it to complete your tasks.

With all that being said, is this just a small document , "one time" type task you need to do? In other words, I could give you a solution based on printing out the PDF, and manually blacking out the text (with a marker), and then scanning it back into a PDF. Would that work for you?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
No, that's not what I am looking for. There are free or much less expensive software products to do it, like Tracker-software.com product PDF-Xchange Editor, for example. Please transfer me to another consultant. Thanks
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I need smbd who is familiar with that or similar products

Hi. My name is***** you for your question and the opportunity to assist.

Open a PDF in Tracker and go to a page where you want to redact something.

Click Document>>Redaction>Mark for Redaction- your cursor turns into crosshairs.

Put the cursor to the top left of the area your want redacted, hold down the left mouse

button and drag a box around the area to be redacted.

Now here's the tricky part.

In a white area of the document draw anothe box the same size as the one you just created.

Once the box has been created, it will turn black when your mouse cursor is over it.

Drag to second box and place it on top of the first box.

Click Document>>Redaction>>Apply all Redactions and you're done.

I've made an offer to connect to your machine and perform these steps for you

if you'd like.

I've just found this Tracker article that explains it as well:

http://www.tracker-software.com/knowledgebase/443-How-to-use-Redaction

Please take a moment before leaving to rate the service using the stars at the top of

the page, then submit.

It would be much appreciated.

You may be using the free version and I guess you realized it puts watermarks on the redacted pages.

Tracker's a good product for the price when compared to the $200+ price tag for Adobe Acrobat.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Hi Byron. It looks like I lost ability to use my other tools, like iolo incinerator (to incinerate files), because probably this Tracker tool is now default tool. Can you help?

What version of Windows are you using and what was the default program for PDFs before Tracker was installed?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
windows 7, default program was adobe

Open Control Panel>>Default Programs

click Set your Default Programs

You should see Adobe on the left.

Left click to select it and on the right, at the bottom, click Choose Defaults for this program.

Put a checkmark in all the boxes and click Save.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I did it. It works for folders, but not for individual files

Right-click on any PDF file and select Open With>>Choose Default Program.

In the new window, with Adobe selected (make sure there's a checkmark in the box labeled "Always use the selected program

to open this kind of file" click OK.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
does not work. looks like it is not default editor, because it asks if I want to make it a default editor. Can you take a look at my screen ?

From your computer, please click the link below (after reading this). On the page that opens after you click the link below, click the green I Agree button toward the bottom of the page, and the connection download will begin. When the file has downloaded (Elsinore.ScreenConnect.Client) select Run or Open. If Windows asks, Allow changes to be made. When the file has loaded we should be connected.

http://www.justanswer.com/remotedesktop/join.aspx?Session=26167c02-9d2a-4e76-b002-dd3b9d9b8845

Hi. I noticed the version of System Mechanic we installed was 16.x and your previous version was

15.5.x

Iolo still has that version available here: http://www.iolo.com/customercare/kbarticle.aspx?id=KBA-02164

Uninstall the newer version first, restart and install the older version.

I'd uninstall Tracker also before installing the 15.5 version of System Mechanic.

Byron, Computer Support Specialist
Experience: 12 years in operations at a large law firm supporting both retail and specialty applications.