Bruce Wilner
Bruce Wilner,
Experience:  principal at Network Security Labortories Inc.
94527327

I can't set a password in the zorin / ubuntu start up and

Customer Question

Hi ,
I can't set a password ***** the zorin / ubuntu start up and access my pc desktop . The problem started when I downloaded a upgrade from zorin/ubuntu 9 to version 15 . I would also like to make necessary changes in operating system to add a second ide hardrive and external sata . Can you help I can't enter recovery mode without being prompted for user name and password
Category: Software
Expert:  George Sibiya replied 3 months ago.

Welcome to JustAnswer and thank you for utilizing our services.

It is possible to reset your password ***** even add a new user with root privileges. This can be achieved by booting from a Live CD or Bootable USB.

You can create the CD or USB from a working PC and an ISO image from http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop

After booting from the CD or USB and selecting the 'Try Ubuntu' option, you can then follow steps listed here:

http://www.webupd8.org/2014/01/how-to-fix-non-bootable-ubuntu-system.html

After executing sudo chroot /mnt/ which is under step 3 there,

You can then run any root privileged command on you system which includes resetting your password ***** creating a new user and adding them to sudo group.

Regards,

G

Customer: replied 3 months ago.

I don't currently have writeable cd or usb . wondering if I can download image on to a RCA m5504 that I have from my mac mini and use the m5504 player to boot from ? If not I will have to wait until I can get out and buy a blank cd . What do you suggest ?

Ok. I suggest you write it on a cd and more specifically, a writable DVD as it is larger than 700MB in size.

After getting hold of the writable dvd please tell me the operating system of the working computer that you will be using to write the dvd so that I can suggest a procedure to write it.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.

Ok . Thanks

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Ok George ,
I have a Philips DVD-R . It has 4.7GB / 120min / 1-16x speed . My working computer is a 09 mac-mini running OS X El Capitan
You can reach me at(###) ###-####and am available all day . I hope this dvd will work .It was all they had at the corner store

Ok thanks,

To burn or write the iso image on OS X EI, you can do it by:

1. Insert the blank DVD in the drive

2. Navigate to where you saved the downloaded ubuntu .iso image.

3. Right-click on the iso file and select "Burn Disk Image to Disc

Please let me know when done or experience any problems

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
The boot file is being created for my PC which was switched over from win xp to zorin Let me see if I understand . From my mac go to http://www.ubuntu.com/download… and click the download box showing ?

Thats right. We only want to boot with it so we can update the password ***** not to necessarily install it.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
ok
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
George here's what happen Error burning disk image: The disc drive didn’t respond properly and can’t recover or retry.

Try this command

hdiutil burn ~/Desktop/nameofthefile.iso

from the command line with this part "~/Desktop/nameofthefile.iso" pointing to where you saved the ISO file

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
How do I get to the command terminal ?
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Ok iso copied to dvd

Ok great

Now what is the make and model of the machine where your Zorin is installed?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Dell Opti Plex 170L

Ok, Insert the DVD and while it is starting up, keep on pressing F12 until it gives you an option to select a boot device.

You will then select cd/dvd

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
When i pressed eject dvd from mac I received a prompt to burn dvd or eject without burning . I pressed burn and got this errorThe disc can’t be burned because communication between the computer and the disc drive failed (error code 0x80020022) . The disk shows 1.5GB copied to it . Is there a difference between coping and burning . Its copied for sure

You may select burn and see happens. I may have copied to a cache and waiting until you have included all files that you want to burn. If its prompting you then select burn.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
This is not working . I will try new disk media tomorrow .

Ok I'll also try a Secure Remote Assistance about the same time

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hey George ,
I picked up a 8GB Flash today . We can proceed when you're ready
Expert:  George Sibiya replied 2 months ago.

Hi, I trust you are well.

Please try this approach with usb: http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop/create-a-usb-stick-on-mac-osx

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hey George ,
I'm not sure it matters but my Linux machine is a 32 bit

No, it does not matter. You may still use the one that you have downloaded yesterday.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
OK ,
downloaded netbootin but it wouldn't open becouse it's not Apple product . Then downloaded Mac Linux USB Loader .
It loaded but I don't know what to do .

Ok try this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yf3VChom8qo

You will stop where he turns off his mac. You will simpy eject the usb once its done and plug it on the dell

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ok got it
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
after I install the usb should the Dell boot automatic ?

You may try the F12 key while the system starts up.

If it does not give you an option to boot from USB you may follow this procedure:

1. Connect your USB your computer.
  2. After connecting, you must start from boot up. You will Reboot the Dell if was already on.
  3. You then go to bios settings by pressing DELETE or if it doesn't work reboot again and try F2.
  4. Now once on the bios settings, search for the boot device, or boot priority.
  5. You then make the USB option as First boot, or just place it at the top of the list.
  6. You can adjust the position by pressing (-)minus and (+)plus signs in your keyboard.
  7. Now once the USB is at the top of the list press F10 to save the changes and click Yes.
  8. And that's it. Your PC will now automatically boot from the USB.

Once you will have booted successfully you'll select 'Try Ubuntu' and then the steps http://www.webupd8.org/2014/01/how-to-fix-non-bootable-ubuntu-system.html

If I stop responding I will have passed out it is after midnight this side. I will check with you in the morning how it went.

Hi. Did the machine boot from the usb?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hey man.
No it wont get passed user login and password ***** I tried disable password ***** motherboard jumpers but didn't work . When I powerup it prompts to strike f1 then it takes me to the grub and what ever my selection there I'm prompted for user login and passwd . I've got to go now will ckeckin with you around 8 when I get back and if thats too late for you we can pickup on it weds

Ok cool chat to you tomorrow. There must be a default password ***** I'll confirm.

There does not seem to be a default password.

So if you press F12, it does not give you the list of boot devices like this guy?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5RKmfdPQH3Q

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
it does but once I stroll down to usb device and press enter , I'm then prompted to strike f1 to cont. once I strike f1 nothing happens .i'm left on that page with a blinking curser

Ok. Someone had a similar issue here http://ccm.net/forum/affich-129187-dell-laptop-black-screen-flashing-cursor

I am not sure which answer might work for us.

I think I can opt out for now to allow contributions by other experts. The background that we have and the resources gathered should be sufficient to get familiar with the issue.

I will keep an eye on the request however to be sure you get assistance.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I think I've screwed of the boot sequence . In a attempt to install second hard drive the other day . Hardly a disk reading discovered during power up
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ok rearranged the hard drive data ribbon and that got me back to where we started , Zorin prompt for user name and passwd
Expert:  Kevin T replied 2 months ago.

Hi

Are you there, I've just picked this up.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hi Kevin
Expert:  Bruce Wilner replied 2 months ago.

I HOPE I AM NOT OVERPOSTING KEVIN. Hello. The system tells me you requested a new expert only a couple of hours ago to help you with your Linux issue. I will be delighted to assist you. I have read through the question stream, but I see many issues being discussed that don't appear to pertain to your original concern. Can you tell me PRECISELY what the issue is and PRECISELY what has been tried and proven unsuccessful? Thank you very much for your cooperation and effort.