Jess M., Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Computer Software Support specialist for more that 10 years
49766785

I bought a new computer and transferred Photoshop from my

Customer Question

I bought a new computer and transferred Photoshop from my old computer to the new one using an Insignia transfer cable. However, when I try to open Photoshop on the new computer I get an error message that says "please uninstall and reinstall the product." It's an Error 16 message. I downloaded Photoshop originally so don't have a disc to reinstall with. Both computers are PC desktops. My version of Photoshop is 13.0.1. I bought it in 2013. Last night, while in Photoshop on the old computer, I printed a 10 page list of specifications regarding my version that has many parenthetical references to the following information in case it is helpful (13.0.0.13 20131024.r.34 2013/10/24:21:00:00).
Will you please lead me through the process of getting my version of Photoshop and Bridge running on the new computer. Thank you.
Craig Wiese
Category: Software
Expert:  Jess M. replied 7 months ago.

Hi, welcome and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I am glad to assist you today.

I am very sorry about your issues. Yes, the process that you followed will surely NOT work since these programs (PS and Bridge) need to be installed so direct copying of the program from one system to another will not work.

Is the old computer still working? Are these PS and Bridge programs still working in the old computer as well?
Please let me know by replying to me here so that I can help you further.

Best regards,
Jess

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
PS and Bridge are working on the old computer.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I'm using the old computer now.
Expert:  Jess M. replied 7 months ago.

Hi Craig,

Thank you for writing back with that information. The best way you can transfer your PS and Bridge is to install it in the new PC. So you need to locate that download of the installer, or download it again.

Then you need to retrieve the product key of the software (that is why I asked if they are still working on the old PC) using some free tool.

After retrieving the product key and the installer, you can then install it on the new computer.

Another thing is, can I remotely access your old computer so that I can do the necessary retrieval of your product key and the installer while you watch? I can then remotely access the new computer to install it there for you.

Remote access (Secure Remote Assistance) is an optional additional service offer with a minimal one-time flat fee regardless of how long it will take me to fix the problem. We can resume any time without additional cost. It is safe as you will be watching your screen and we can chat right there, and it will be a faster mode of help.
Please let me know if you want this remote option.
Best regards,
Jess

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Ok, on the remote access. Two things, 1) how long will it take, and 2) I think I disabled remote access on the new computer last night while screwing around in Control Panel. Help me get that back. Windows 10.
Expert:  Jess M. replied 7 months ago.

It can take 1 hour or 2 on the old PC. Then I need to remotely connect to the new PC to install, but I believe you can do it on your own. It will take less than 30 minutes to install it on new PC.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Ok, I can't do this right now but have time this afternoon starting around 1:00 mountain time. I'm in Boise. Does this work for you?
Expert:  Jess M. replied 7 months ago.

Craig,

I am from a different time zone. Approximately how many hours from now will you be available?

Also, I tried to accept your request for Secure Remote Assistance but there was an error from your end. The transaction could have been blocked by your bank. Let me try to accept again later.

Jess

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I don't know what the deal is with the credit card. I entered it when I completed the Just Answer form. I have to take off for a while and will be back around 1:00 mountain time, maybe sooner.
Expert:  Jess M. replied 7 months ago.

Ok. How many hours from now will you be back?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
3.5 hours from now.
Expert:  Jess M. replied 7 months ago.

It will be 3AM my time. I will no longer be available by then. (It is 11:37PM here now)

Can we resume with remote access 10 to 12 hours from now instead?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I'd rather get this done today. Can I work with another support person?
Expert:  Jess M. replied 7 months ago.

Ok sure. Let me opt out so that other support person can work with you on your desired time.

Thank you.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Ok, thank you.
Expert:  Bruce Wilner replied 7 months ago.

You will have to download the product from Adobe afresh and install it on the new computer. Windows is not UNIX; files cannot be copied from here to there with any hope of things running correctly. Fundamentally, Windows is a paraprofessional mess and there are "tentacles" all over the file system and registry that you couldn't hope systematically to identify and port to the new box. If you have your license key, you should be able to install and activate all of Adobe's features for free on the new box. Even if you don't, if you registered the product, call them up and they'll be happy to help you. If you have (a) no media, (b) no license key, and (c) no registration, you're out of luck. You had THREE chances to get it right. Sorry.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Can the license key be found in my copy of Photoshop?

That's a very good question. Under the Help menu, there should be a Help->About function. Whether that actually displays your license key varies from vendor to vendor. I don't have Photoshop on the computer I'm using just now. By all means give it a shot. At any rate, there should be a product serial number and, perhaps, a customer ID, which should be more than enough if you have to call Adobe technical support at(###) ###-####

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Ok, thank you. I will follow-up on your suggestion in a couple hours.

K. Don't reply to this until you have substantive progress. Otherwise, the system will harass me with, "Customer awaiting your reply." Thanks for your understanding.