Quiksilver07070
Quiksilver07070, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Install, Update, troubleshoot and remove all types of software
63493917

To M. Only: I have the urge to find a way to upgrade the OS

To Robert M. Only:
I have the urge to find a way to upgrade the OS from win10 to win7.
It seems that not even basic things work in win10, but let's see if we can find a fix, because if I buy win7, it will become incompatible sooner, like what happened with xp.1. If you open file explorer, you will see a spelling error at the top. It reads "Quick Access" when it's supposed to say "Slower Access", because none of the folders have the tree dropdown next to them.
So instead, I figured I'd just do the basic method from back in win7, and that's pin a shortcut to the folders I need to my task bar and/or start menu, so that when they are clicked, they open in explorer with the trees in order to navigate and move files amongst parents and children. But in win10, nothing shows up in the left pane of explorer.2. Everything I search for in windows search, says "no results found". e.g. Device Manager, Display Properties, etc.

Hello, and Thank You for choosing JustAnswer.com
My name is ***** ***** I am reviewing your question now, please stand by for 1 or 2 minute for reply.

Robet M is offline.......woudl you like to continue waiting?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
If you know answer, it is ok.

The answer, i DO have.

.

But its complex, and im not sure how to word it so you can understand.

I think it would best to SHOW you on your computer.

Give you a quick tutorial on Windows 10, and how you use FIle Explorer. and how to make it act and perform similar to windows 7.

.

I can also help you DOWNgrade (not UPgrade if you go backwards) to Windows 7 from Windows 10.

However, due to the fact that microsoft was offering Windows 10 for free, there are some caveats.

First caveat is....did your computer COME WITH Win10? Or did you Have Win7 or Win8, and then UPgraded to Win10?

So you kind of asked 2 conflicting questions.

If you want to DOWNgrade to Windows 7, then theres no point in going over the Win 10 with you, as you wont have it anymore.

.

So, you kind of need to decide which path to go down.

Do you want to DOWNgrade to Win7, and forget about Win10. (which i must say, can be a complex process especially if you did NOT UPgrade to Win10, and Win10 came with the computer)

or

Do you want to know more about Win10, and get used to it? Which is what i would reccomend.

As you are correct, at some point in the near future Win7 will no longer be supported.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
win10 sounds like the better direction to go.
But I don't know why you call win7 a downgrade when it's a much superior OS.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
let's try it though. let me know how to get file explorer to work correctly.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
how do I set it to show trees, like all other versions of windows has.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
or another way to phrase it, how do I get the left pane to populate when I open a folder in explorer?

Sorry for the delay, the best way to show you how Windows 10 works....is with a remote session.

I do it for free if you like......your a repeat customer, and a freebie every now and then shows i CARE too!

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I am very nervous about and have never given remote access to my computers, but we can give it a try. Will I be able to hear you talk while you are pointing (but NOT clicking) on things? Let me know when you're on and ready to connect.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
1. In all previous versions I've had, I could pin a folder's shortcut to my task bar and/or start menu, so that when they are clicked, they open in explorer with the trees showing in the left pane in order to navigate and move files among parents and children. But now in win10, none of this shows up in the left pane of file explorer. How do I fix this?I tried a work-around of creating a shortcut icon from within file explorer, but it won't drag to the taskbar (man win10 is poorly designed!), so I figured I'd instead try adding it to the start menu, but can't find how to do that either. (man win10 is poorly designed!). How do I get rid of "Quick Access" because that just makes things much slower.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
ok, I found part of the solution:
1. open file explorer and click on the View menu.
2. click "navigation pane" then activate "expand to open folder".Now I just need to find a way to put these folder shortcuts as individual icons on my taskbar.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
man win10 is poorly designed! there should not be 3-4 ways to do the same thing, yet each producing DIFFERENT results. Like the fact that display settings are spread across 7 different places.. yes, I couldn't believe I counted 7 different places you have to dig to in order to find all the display settings, and each place has different settings being accessible compared to the other. Win10 is designed like a bowl of spaghetti. Building an OS is very simple, so I'm baffled why after 35 years, they still haven't built one that works.)
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
ok, I'm just going to live with all the shortcuts being grouped together under one icon.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
it's not letting me rate this question 5 stars.
(you should let JA know about this, because what happens, is if user closes this chat, there is almost no way to find it again and so the expert ends up never receiving credit.)
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
are you still there?

Sorry, i was out on an assignment.

YOu should be able to rate now.

Thank you!