swmcdonnell
swmcdonnell, Computer Scientist
Experience:  Steve has many years of experience in software development.
47680681
Software

I bought a Sony Walkman NW-E394 and I can transfer songs to

it from Windows Media Player... Show More
it from Windows Media Player but not playlists.
I have had several Walkmen before and have not had a problem. How do I get the Walkman to recognize the playlist?
Under playlists, on the Walkman, it says "No Playlists available. Connect to compliant software/device and transfer playlists
Category: Software
technicalcat, Consultant
replied 4 months ago.

Hello, and thank you for using this service.

Sorry to hear you are having trouble. To further assist, please give me more details.

What version of Windows Media Player are you using? To determine the version of Windows Media Player, start Windows Media Player, click About Windows Media Player on the Help menu in and then note the version number below the Copyright notice. Note If the Help menu is not displayed, press ALT + H on your keyboard and then click About Windows Media Player.

Customer reply replied 4 months ago.
Windows Media Player 12 I think. There is no help menu so it is hard to tell
technicalcat, Consultant replied 4 months ago.

The ALT-H should still work to bring up help where you can check version by clicking about. Please do this, and let me know the version. Thanks.

Customer reply replied 4 months ago.
I finally found it. I had a different menu. It is Windows Media Player 11

Troubleshooting on this particular problem could be a bit complicated. If you'd like me to connect to your computer and fix this while you watch, please accept the offer of remote services.

Customer reply replied 4 months ago.
No thank you. I can do the work if you can tell me how

I'm actually going to be away from my computer for awhile, so I'm going to opt your question out to other experts for review. Another expert should step in shortly. Thanks.

Dustin, Computer Support Specialist
replied 4 months ago.

Welcome to Justanswer.com, my name is Dustin.
I'm sorry to hear about the issue you are having, I will do my best to help you resolve it.

Question.. When you are on the sync tab of windows media player, with the walkman connected. Are you dragging and dropping the play list title itself, onto the sync tab and then syncing the music? Or, are you dragging and dropping individual songs.

Ideally, all you should have to do is drag the playlist title itself to the sync tab then sync with the walkman.

Try that, and let me know if it works.

Dustin S.

Senior Technician and Network Switching Systems Operator / Maintainer.

Customer reply replied 4 months ago.
We just dragged the play list Folder, then synced - nothing is on the walkman.
Dustin, Computer Support Specialist replied 4 months ago.

To be clear, you dragged an individual play list to the sync section, then sycned it to the walkman and nothing transferred?

Customer reply replied 4 months ago.

I wish I could offer you more. Im not certain if the firmware on the walkman needs to be updated, or if media player isnt compatible with the device.

Or if something else is occurring. I will opt out in the hopes that someone else will have further written steps that they can try with you.

Dustin S

Customer reply replied 4 months ago.
This is a new walkman.
Customer reply replied 4 months ago.
how would I know the version of the firmware ..? Also, another Sony walkman can be synced with no issues..... (10 yrs old).
Jason Jones, Computer Technician
replied 4 months ago.

I am the person that will be helping you today.

If you still need help with this, may I start a secure remote assistance session with you so that I can better help you resolve this problem? When the remote session begins, a chat window will appear that we can use to communicate with each other.

Please, send your reply below in the box. After you type your message, click the Send button.

Thank you,
Jason

Customer reply replied 4 months ago.
security will not allow you to remote into my computer. Tell me what to do, and I will do it.
Jason Jones, Computer Technician replied 4 months ago.

You have already been given the instructions, which do not work. That is why I offered the remote. I will opt out and allow another to work with you. Thank you.

Customer reply replied 4 months ago.
if we already did the instructions, how do you think that you could get it to work by you typing the same thing.?

Did you do the instructions correctly? I offered to remote in as a favor to you because the previous set of instructions didn't work. I am sorry, but I don't have time today to argue over this. I will opt out and allow another to work with you.

swmcdonnell, Computer Scientist
replied 4 months ago.

Hi there, my name is***** to Sony, if playlists won't sync through Windows Media Player, you need to reformat the player and try again. This is from the Sony documentation here:

If the player fails to sync after multiple attempts, you may need to format the player and then re-attempt to transfer the files.

IMPORTANT: Formatting the player will delete any files that are on the player.

If you still can't get it to work, have you tried formatting the player and syncing the files again? Also, when you sync, instead of copying the folder of playlists, try copying the playlists individually.

If I've answered your question and resolved your issue, can you please accept the answer and rate me accordingly? I don't get paid anything for helping you unless you accept the answer and rate me at least 3 stars. If not, please chat me back and I'll get you the information you need to resolve your issue. Thanks and have a great day!

Customer reply replied 4 months ago.
We tried this a few times.... The issue is NOT resolved.
Customer reply replied 4 months ago.
Also, we only copied ONE playlist.
swmcdonnell, Computer Scientist replied 4 months ago.

What happens when you sync a playlist with Windows Media Player? Does WMP act like it's copying the playlist to the Walkman? If there are no songs on the Walkman, does it copy the songs from the playlist but just not the playlist itself?

Just to clarify, you've gone to Settings | Common Settings and selected Format to reformat the player, correct?

Have you also used a paperclip in the reset hole to reset the player?