ChrisC
ChrisC, Computer Enthusiast
Experience:  15 years as a professional computer technician.
56108293

I have a netgear router. Suddenly it has stopped working.

Customer Question

I have a netgear router. Suddenly it has stopped working. The second light from the left has turned orange. Tech support tells me they will reconfigure the software for $140. When I bought it I never knew I had to pay when things go wrong. Does anybody out there know how to make it work again?
Category: Software
Expert:  ChrisC replied 3 months ago.

Hi Irving, my name is ***** ***** welcome to JustAnswer!

It sounds like either the router will simply need to be replaced or needs to be reset. But one thing you DON'T need to do is to pay $140 to "reconfigure the software." That doesn't make sense on a number of levels and it sounds like a scam. it doesn't even sound like you were talking with the actual Netgear company.

To try resetting the router, you'll need to find the reset switch. This can vary from model to model and in some cases just looks like a small pinhole, which you would need to stick a paperclip into to get to the actual reset button. But if you hold that button down for about 10 seconds the router should do a full reset on the software. Bear in mind that if there were any previous configurations made with the router's settings, those would need to be put back in place. (Though in most cases the settings are never changed from the defaults.)

If resetting the router doesn't resolve it, the device is failing and will simply need to be replaced. The good news is that a new router can be purchased off the shelf for as cheap as $50 (or sometimes even less). You can pick one up from any regular retailer, such as Best Buy, Staples, Target, etc.

Let me know if you have any questions on this. And please remember to rate the answer for me before you run.