Jess M., Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Computer Software Support specialist for more that 10 years
49766785

I am new to inDesign but have manage, with a lot of help, to

Customer Question

I am new to inDesign but have manage, with a lot of help, to design a book. I hope my question is easy to answer.
The book has two sections. The first section contains the dedication, forward, etc. and is numbered with Roman Numerals.
The second section contains photographs and each page is numbered with Arabic Numerals.
When I numbered the first section (with Roman Numerals), I omitted numbers on the first two pages. I would like my Roman Numerals to start of page 3 (i) and continue through page 9 (ix).
I know I have to do this in the master pages but I am stuck. Please help. Thanks.
Category: Software
Expert:  Jess M. replied 3 months ago.

Hi Gary, welcome and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I am glad to assist you today.

I am very sorry about your issues. So in your current document, is the first section numbered including the first 2 pages that you want un-numbered?

Please let me know by replying to me here so that I can help you further.

Best regards,
Jess

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
The section in question is 11 pages long. Pages 1 and 2 are NOT to be numbered, as desired. And, that's the way it is set up now. The problem is that Page 3 is numbered iii and I want it to be numbered i. Then the following pages should be ii, iii, iv, v, vi, vii, viii, ix.
Expert:  Jess M. replied 3 months ago.

Thank you for that information.

In this case, you need to use the Numbering & Section Options dialog box to change the page numbering style to use a different format. You can also use this dialog box to restart page numbering or to start page numbering at a number you specify. The later is what you need in your case.

Please do these steps:

1. In the Pages panel, select the page where you want the new numbering style section to begin. That will be the page 3 that is showing iii now.

2. Choose Layout => Numbering & Section Options.

3. Specify options, and then click OK. In your case, the option should be "Start Page Numbering At". Type i there then click OK.

I hope that helped.

Please remember to rate my service positively (3-5 stars/faces) if this helped. Tips are always highly appreciated!

If you need further assistance, please do not rate me negatively with 1 or 2 faces. Instead, please reply to me so that I can help you further.

Thank you!

Best regards,
Jess

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I was able to change the page numbers but not to what I wanted. I want the current page 3 to be page i. The best I can get is page II (Roman Numerals). So the numbering is not as I wanted and the case (lower) does not seem to want to apply.
Expert:  Jess M. replied 3 months ago.

In step 1, you need to select that Page 3.

Proceed to Step 2.

In Step 3, you need to enter the lower case i. Also, you can format the text so that the font has lower case are not the same as upper case.

That should make your Page 3 show i instead of iii.

If you have also done all steps and you still having problems, please do these steps:

1. In the Pages panel, locate Page 3 there
  2. Right click on Page 3, then in the context menu, UNCHECK both options that say "Allow Document Pages to Shuffle" and "Allow Selected Spread to Shuffle".
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Let me tell you what I have attempted to do unsuccessfully.1. On Menu bar, I selected LAYOUT.
2. Next, selected NUMBERING AND SECTIONS OPTIONS
3. Next, checked START PAGE NUMBERING AT "3"
4. Indicated STYLE as i, ii, iii, iv, v.
5. Clicked OK.
6. inDesign page 3 became IV.I must be doing something incorrect.Maybe I don't understand what PAGES PANEL is?
Expert:  Jess M. replied 3 months ago.

Pages panel is the rectangular window/bar floating on the sides of the InDesign interface. It is also where you see the thumbnails or icons of your document pages.

By the way, can I remotely access your computer so that I can directly check and fix your numbering issues while you watch?

Remote access (Secure Remote Assistance) is an optional additional service offer with a minimal one-time flat fee regardless of how long it will take me to fix the problem. We can resume any time without additional cost. It is safe as you will be watching your screen and we can chat right there, and it will be a faster mode of help.
Please let me know if you want this remote option.
Best regards,
Jess

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thanks for your time, Jess. I am unable to continue at this time. Of course, I accept the charges incurred. Please let me know what your services cost me. Thanks again.
Expert:  Jess M. replied 3 months ago.

Hi Gary,

Thank you for writing back. If you still need help with this numbering issues, we can resume any time when you are back and available. Just bookmark our chat page so that you can get back to me here any time easily. Or you can click on the link in the email notification that you receive from our system.

I have no concrete or exact information regarding the fees here and we as tech are not allowed to discuss matters on fees. You can contact our customer service.

Thank you very much.

Thank you!

Best regards,
Jess